BJ42 Wiring Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the last months of a frame off rebuild of my 24 volt 1981 BJ42. I refurbished the wiring loom and all is hooked up except that I have a two prong female connector right by the horn in front of the drivers battery with one green/white stipe wire and one green/red stripe wire that I have no idea where to hook up to. I have studied the schematic and cannot figure it out. I have the rebuilt 3B running, the backup lights work, the dash lights work, the head lights work the horn works the filter light works. Each signal light will click on and stay on no blinking. What does not work are the brake lights, clearance lights and blinking signal lights.... Any thoughts where these wires go or?? or any other assistance would be appreciated....

green white sounds like one of the marker/indicator light wires.

~John

I am in the last months of a frame off rebuild of my 24 volt 1981 BJ42. I refurbished the wiring loom and all is hooked up except that I have a two prong female connector right by the horn in front of the drivers battery with one green/white stipe wire and one green/red stripe wire that I have no idea where to hook up to. I have studied the schematic and cannot figure it out. I have the rebuilt 3B running, the backup lights work, the dash lights work, the head lights work the horn works the filter light works. Each signal light will click on and stay on no blinking. What does not work are the brake lights, clearance lights and blinking signal lights.... Any thoughts where these wires go or?? or any other assistance would be appreciated....

You say THE horn ... but there should be two. (Twin horns.)

And the colour codes and connector style you describe matches a horn connector exactly.

So I vote that it's the second connector for your missing second horn.

PS. The twin-horn sound is "classic landcruiser". It would be sacrilege to own a 40-series running a single horn! The sounds from the two horns are slightly off-key (if that's the right word) to give a lovely combination effect.

:cheers:

I think you are right about the horn. Mine came from PO with one only, very loud. Checked all my fuses again and one was shot, replaced and now have brake lights. Still no clearance/tail lights. I am going to pull the fuse box and make sure all wiring is attached and contacts are good. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep looking.....

Unless your lights are radically different from the BJ40, your marker lights, your tail lights, your interior lights and your instrument panel lights all get their power from the 15 amp Tail fuse. Do any of those work? If none of them work, check the Tail fuse. If the interior lights work but the rest of them don't, then look at the "light control switch" or an associated wire. According to the schematic, the wire from the Tail fuse to the light control switch and the interior light is Green/Red. The wires from the switch to all the clearance lights and the tail lights are all green. The White/Black wires all go to ground points.

It sounds like you already fixed it, but the Green/White wires all come from the 15 Amp Stop fuse and go to the horns, the hazard switch and the brake lights. I don't know how smart it was to put the horns on the same fuse as the brake lights.

Last edited:
Finally got it... When I rewired my lighting system I had all the tail and clearance lights wired but did not terminate at the light switch. I traced all wires and finally spotted a green wire way under the dash just waiting to be hooked up and now have all working. Does not help that I am colour blind, reds and greens....Good thing out of this is I ordered a centech fuse panel and look forward to installing in the next few weeks. Now if the weather would just warm up I can finish painting my hood, windshield frame and doors to get this thing on the road after six years of rebuild. Wife describes the BJ as gold plated, myself it is more of a stainless steel and aluminum. Oh! I get it she's going on about cost....If only she new.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom