BJ42 What is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When i bought my 42 some pieces were just tossed in the back and i am not sure what this one is. I think it is the weather strip between the tub and top and if so is that all i need or is a flat gasket ccot type needed as well.
2nd question-what are the 7 holes in the top forward side of the windshield for?
In my box of goodies i cant find a seal that goes on top of windshield so is oem the only answer or are there good aftermarket?

Last edited:
The holes in the top of the windshield are for a channel that is needed for the OEM soft top. In earlier years those would have had a nut welded in. Later unless it was a hard top the holes were ther but no nut.

I definitely would not cover the hole, inside the frame treated with wax and let the "breathe" as covering holes does not prevent condensation inside the window frame and humidity could be out of the window frame.
Team P. S. Forgive my English:eek:

Ok i will leave the holes open cuz thats the way it came from the factory and when i am finished removing all rust from bottom of frame i will coat the inside of the frame with some sort of rust proofing. Any thoughts on best top windshield seal to use?

Nice pick up Vern!!! The weather strip you have there goes around the lip of the tub when you put the hard top side on. Cool Cruisers has some good images that point out the different seals. As long as you get a good seal between the top and the windshield then I wouldn't worry too much about the holes. I sealed mine with silicone since I'm running a soft top. I would argue that those holes are more trouble and are best closed up. Eastwood company has a cool aerosol that comes with a tube that has a conical spray that allows you to fish it into the frame to get is coated. Most windshield frames rust from the inside out and I suspect it is from water intrusion through the holes and pooling in the lower seam, not from condensation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom