BJ42 strange sensation...?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BJ42 sicky 4wd shift...??

Hey, recently got a hold of a 42, has been running well....BUT... The 4WH-4WL hadn't been used in a bit an since I've had it has been tested out seemed all good until I couldn't shif back into 2WD, shift wouldn't go didn't force it... next red light I was at attempted again, and it went in smooth??? Also since testing I've been getting a scary sensation while driving in 2WD, truck jolts momentarily as if Ive down shifted, only last a split second then alls good....like its catching a lower range??? hummmm.... lookin fo some thinker.

Last edited:
The jolt or whatever might mean that you've got an automatic differential locker installed in one or the other, or both. Probably only in the back if it's so noticeable in 2WD. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the outside but if you jack up the back with both wheels off the ground and rotate a wheel the noises should be enough for a sure indication. They clank, click, and variously sound odd.

The shifting may be normal. Sometimes the gears don't line up for easy engagement. Or you could have any of a few linkage or internal problems. Drive it and do that some more to see if it doesn't get easier.

shifting out of 4wd in mine is always easier by driving under load, apply pressure to lever, foot off throttle.
Works every time - I usually can't get it out of 4wd when stationary, even with hubs unlocked.

Sounds like yours.

Normal.

Congrats on the new rig! Aren't they slow, stinky, and all-around truly cool? The folks with the most experience in non-USA diesel cruisers usually hang out on the International discussion board.

1982BJ42 said:
Also since testing I've been getting a scary sensation while driving in 2WD, truck jolts momentarily as if Ive down shifted, only last a split second then alls good....like its catching a lower range??? hummmm.... lookin fo some thinker.

Does the engine do anything when this happens, i.e. cut out briefly? If so, there is a common problem with the EDIC relay.

:cheers:
B

Thanks for the tips and hints, relieved to hear others have trouble getting out of 4WD when stationary and will try the reverse trick. nothing happens with the engine when the the problem occurs so am not as concerned. The Rig is sweet, with lotsa touchups to be done, always driven diesel and always will.....
.....about that new FJ thats out, need to put a Diesl in that, any thought on why Toyota doesn't market diesels in NA?? Silly!
Thanks for that tip guys.

I have been leaking more oil since playing with the 4WD, Bbut have been keeping the level topped up, may try the different oil if it persists, any thoughts on the increase in oil leakage since using 4wd??
thanks

1982BJ42 said:
I have been leaking more oil since playing with the 4WD, Bbut have been keeping the level topped up, may try the different oil if it persists, any thoughts on the increase in oil leakage since using 4wd??
thanks
If it is coming out the front of the TC you might have abad bearing and seal up there, if it is the bearing unlocking the hubs will stop it from turning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom