BJ42 reusable air filter replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents, I have a 1982 Aussie BJ42lx with a reusable oil bath air filter. Can I just replace the filter element with a disposable one? I don't really want to clean the element and deal with the oil bath. There was no oil in the canister when I got the truck. Anyone know the right replacement numbers?

I'm sure I am not the first to ask this, but I couldn't find a thread upon several searches.

IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
View attachment 1374060

I'm pretty certain that's the standard paper filter. The 'tuna can' canister collects larger particles that are dropped as the air swirls around the housing.

Its just a standard filter and way past its use by date. I think its probably the best type of filtration you can get.

Anyone know where to get them in the US? Anyone have replacement brands/numbers?

Went on the Wix website, found the number and found it on Amazon.

Wix 42159

Hopefully this will fit.

Part number is 17801-68020 and is the same as a north American 80 series and 62 series. You could probably save a bit buying them online in bulk or buying them as a kit with an oil and fuel filter.

Ok, after referencing my trusty owner's manual, it looks like I have the "cyclone" type air filter (with the "tuna can" for large particles) and not the oil bath type. The part is, as others above have stated, pretty readily available, went with Amazon for about $15 with free 2 day shipping with prime.

It would have just drained out of the bottom of the tuna can...
The rest would have been burned!

It is a little confusing that the cyclone looks like the oil bath type, especially when they put a sticker saying "reusable filter"

Toyota had reusable filters as an option for that shape of filter. Personally, I prefer the disposable paper type. They are cheap and every time it goes in I know its 100% clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom