Builds BJ42 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

coolfj40_2269_97426378

The rear of that tub looks like an early model, ambulance doors require the same jamb profile as the hard top.

sill2.jpg

That area for the door latch is also missing, it should be slightly recessed into the rear sil.

Hey Ralph I think you are pooched on the tube, looks like they designed it to have the doors fit over the tub and not recessed like factory. I do not see a recess for the doors in any of the pictures, on top of that they are using square cornered rear doors when factory doors curved bottom outside...

Maybe they coud build in the recess and make the curve on the corners to fit your rear doors, could be pricey to do all that fab work?
Fabiens sent me a bunch of how to pictures and a video of the end product and it actually looks good. I have square door corners as well and I could use those because they are in much better condition than my ruins corner ones. I will have to stew on this problem for awhile.
Rob if you’re in Parksville this weekend pop by.
Frenching in ( no pun intended) a weather strip edge will add a lot of work but it’s not impossible, it just depends on how year/model accurate I want to get. We will see this weekend.

96B35D00-6C9C-44DE-AD26-E232D6F886CE.jpeg

F6DC9F28-2AFE-4208-97DA-91E4BD5AE23C.jpeg

5D8A1DB0-5FD3-4529-8CE6-D37D23605535.jpeg

9C95A40A-5429-44D4-A969-9240E30776C0.jpeg

13D2716D-EB31-4A46-A92D-3C272719C545.jpeg

I have seen both tubs, this tub Ralph is using and a Colombia made tub.. both have there pros and cons. So so much work goes into making either tub work, not quite plug and play. The Aqualu tub is also very nice( big price increase over the past two years), they all require dash lay out which is very time consuming.

Let me know if you need my 1983 BJ42 and I will throw a plate on it and drive up, I will need a ride home tho..:smokin::steer::steer:

Ok moving on, today’s project is mounting it to the frame. It’s been a long time coming and I keep getting bogged down by other stuff but today is the day.
Drill out the access holes in the fron foot wells and rear tub sill, then installed body plugs.
Worked like a dream.

58B203EA-AABA-48BF-A40E-B73034AA8A4C.jpeg

83C4213E-90E8-40FC-A742-A4D4AE0993F6.jpeg

FC18D538-1283-4E0F-B0F3-4EFAF20E0152.jpeg

F5CC6594-D982-41C6-A156-63D17B39F1E2.jpeg

A03642BF-E922-4CC2-A616-18E54B413958.jpeg

Fuel door and wheel opening
1454199806674-jpg.1200572
Is the wheel opening larger than in OEM quarter panel? Now it’s at the same level with the fuel door lower line.

Edit: Teseven: ”it is just around 4cm to allow larger tyre to fit into.”

Last edited:
Is the wheel opening larger than in OEM quarter panel? Now it’s at the same level with the fuel door lower line.

Edit: Teseven: ”it is just around 4cm to allow larger tyre to fit into.”

Yes the wheel opening is larger to easily fit a 33” tire or even a 35” I suppose. I learned this the hard way after I powder coated my jump seats and tried to install them. I found that the rear seat stanchions poked above the hardtop rail, so I lowered them, re welded the stanchions and then powder coated them again.

Hi, How was this resolved with Tsevens ? Mike

Hi Mike, Fabien set me a boat load of pictures some of which I included on this thread. He said that he has only built the tubs with the seal recess within the last 9 months and mine was built before that. The door closes over the edge and he seal makes up the difference. I tied to post the video he sent but you can’t tell st all once the doors are on. Fit and finish is perfect. I’m Not worried, and if I ever am I will insert a length of stainless angle, the only problem I have at the moment is that I’m worried that I will weaken the sheet metal fender where it wraps around the door opening. I’m due for another meeting with the painter so we will discuss it further.
I’m still in the fence regarding the Nordic Blue or a more modern Blue Pearl...and soon I’ll be running out of time.
More updates when I’m back in a week

So I’ve got these two shields. I think the top one is the exhaust shield located underneath the passenger area. You guys have any idea
where the other one goes?

So I’ve got these two shields. I think the top one is the exhaust shield located underneath the passenger area. You guys have any idea
where the other one goes?

image.jpg

So I stripped her back down and I pulled the tub to give it a proper undercoating.Rhe undercoat that the tub came with was very thin and now is the time to do it right.
Body is back on the frame this morning and torqued down....I hate undercoating, it takes forever to dry and is so messy.

A73BD128-5DFE-4F52-BF39-2CFE984AB313.jpeg

5A85C6F8-FF38-4EE1-8AF5-7510AD070063.jpeg

35B2CD80-31EB-4F24-9E77-3EA9C3A09AEC.jpeg

BJ should be ready for the paint shop in 4
weeks, I changed bodyshops and the guy I have now does absolutely amazing work.
He rejected my Columbian half doors so I have to figure something out there if I want to run half doors with the top off.
More updates to come.

Why not not soft doors ?
I just took my bj42 to 4Wheelauto Edmonton yesterday.
Very excited to be possibly driving her soon !
Don’t miss the summer get it on the road to enjoy ! Then do the piddly things later !

Alberta Mac I won’t get her done this summer that much I know. I’ll be happy to have her painted by the end of summer and then to settle in for the winter to wire it and put the glass back, seats, tires, trim, etc. All the fun stuff. I thought about soft doors but these half doors I have will look sweet once I spend a bunch of hours on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom