BJ42 Restoration - Am i dreaming? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

I'm a noob. I'm a noob in every conceivable way. I've never owned a Cruiser, I've never worked on a Cruiser - in fact I've never restored any vehicle, ever.

I am however a fairly handy electro-mechanical engineer, I can weld, I can strip things down and fix em up.

Now here's my story...

Currently I'm semi-retired, living in Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands, and frankly I'm bored.

I've been on the look out for a Land Rover to restore/modify, and then today I found a 1979 BJ42 for sale by the original owner from new, here on the Island (and apparently comes with an unused spare radiator!?!). Being sold for "spares or restoration" it looks pretty rough, going for a viewing at the end of the week.

So am I dreaming to consider a restoration on an Island where every single part will need to be imported, where those parts will probably be 30% more expensive because of import costs and import taxes? Where even the tools I need will be hard to find?

Anyone care to project the costs of restoring it to decent roadworthy condition - looking good, but not necessarily concours?

I can't yet post pics - 2 days until forum allows me to post links.

It should run somewhere between $400 and $100,000 depending on level of restoration. Go for it. Welcome to MUD, hobbies are expensive.

Haha, Yeah OK, I get that it was a pretty stupid question. I guess your estimate covers any and all eventualities ;)

It's certainly a lot more expensieve rebuild it when you live on an island, on the otherhand you should be used to al these import costs by now.

Btw we pay here even 37% over the import and transport price.

It's wise to see what's the shape of Bj42 you want to buy is, and make a to do with expense list of it.

If you might stay and buy it ; Welcome to the madness !!

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom