BJ42 Radiator Fun (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been needing a new radiator for a while now, I've decided I want a new aluminum one instead of getting mine rebuilt. Found something that kinda irks me while looking online. Mine has no PS so my inlet is on the driver side. Now, my dads BJ40 has his inlet on the passenger side, since his thermo housing exits that way but he has no power steering either. It's basically the same radiator, but just with the inlet on the other side. The weird part is that online there are two different designs that are sold: inlet R outlet L for the Bj40 and inlet L outlet L for the Bj42 BUT THEY ONLY SHIP IT FROM CHINA AND IT'S WAY MORE EXPENSIVE. Can't find an LL anywhere in North America. They're all $300 US with "free shipping", while I could get a RL from california all said and done just over $200 CANADIAN. Blows my mind. And they're all made in China anyway, which I don't have a problem with but why can't they just ship a few of the other kind over too?
Anyway, I see no reason why I can't just get the Bj40 one and just run a different, more snake-ish radiator hose and reroute the overflow. Should fit just the same. Just bothers me why I can't get the proper one in North America, makes me feel like I'm missing something. Well that's my rant. Just wanna get her back on the road again!! Input appreciated.

Why don't you see if you can get your current fixed?

I've used alpine on Henry eng place in Langford with good results for rads and fuel tanks.

The only other place I know of is townside automotive, but they will be expensive. At best.

Have you been able to contact anyone that sells terrain tamer, I think they are making rads now, not sure if you can source one in north America yet. Might be Australia only.

Sorry that's not much help. Cruisers ain't getting any cheaper.

Cheers
Crusty

Rant of the Day, Winner! I hear you and feel for you. I would try to look at all the aluminum rad manufacturers.
Go through Summit Racing, and see what brands they sell and go direct to the manufacturer.
Here in Nanaimo Island Radiator used to be really good, but it's had a couple of owner changes and
I can't say anymore for them. The last guy did ok, and was reasonable. 3-4 yrs ago I'm afraid.
Hit up all the local guys, any rad shop can do a rebuild. Have you posted on the 40/55 forum
threads? Someone in the lower 48 will have done this already and might have a cheap part number.

Nik, i just went thru this about 6 months ago. at the end of the day go with having yours re-cored.... it will outlast all of us here!!
x2 on the Alpine guys in Langford, they did an awesome job on mine. cost me around $550 all in.

Thanks for the advice guys. I tried getting in contact with the guy at alpine a few months ago when my rad first cracked. Called a few times, went in person a few times but couldn't get a hold of him so I kind of gave up. I think for now I'll throw in an aluminum one, managed to find one for $220 CA including import charges. And I'll keep my current rad and maybe re core it in the future.

Now all I'm really worried about is finding a good radiator hose that will be able to bend around from the thermostat to the other side of the rad without getting to kinked. It's quite the awkward angle. I'm sure I'll figure something out, not a huge issue.

Just have the inlet transferred from one side to the other. Tig tig tig.

IMG_0924.JPG

I seem to remember looking through catalogues once and finding a muscle car rad that had the right outlets and close dimensions. Mustang maybe? don't remember the year

They always seem to have the lower one on the wrong side. I've spent many years with a ghetto crossover pipe on the bottom because of that.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an opinion, Sea Potato exempt, on whether aluminum radiators handle the flex
as well as copper? I read this somewhere, and I know that the front of a 40 is probably one of the most
flexing trucks I've ever seen, I know mine did.

Does anyone have an opinion, Sea Potato exempt, on whether aluminum radiators handle the flex
as well as copper? I read this somewhere, and I know that the front of a 40 is probably one of the most

Good question. And I've also noticed just how much 40's and 60's flex. Frame engineering was seriously improved for the 70 and 80 series trucks (and beyond).

Good question. And I've also noticed just how much 40's and 60's flex. Frame engineering was seriously improved for the 70 and 80 series trucks (and beyond).

Could just be the lack of rust keeping things straight. :hillbilly:

Exempt eh?

40 rad supports do a pretty good job of isolating a rad from any flex, I suspect some thought was given to that issue when they were designed, mounted near centre with just a couple rods holding them upright.

I'd worry more about vibration from a 3b clanging away next to it, or electrolysis.

if I worried about that sort of thing.

I was just teasing ya,
The movement of the aluminum against the plastic caps of newer rads has been
an issue in the past. Solid rad should hold, but just the inherent brittleness of alum
makes some sense to me.

@Toshi38 found a rad from Lordco that fit with his 3B swap. He could likely chime in.

just had a rad done at Alpine a couple months ago. Ken is the guy that does them.
I did have to re weld the overflow tube after I got it back...

Yeah my rear heater had to go back to him after it was repaired but still leaking

I also have stoped in that hino shop to see if they could get parts for the 3b. Apparently they can but want the hino part number. They won't cross it over for you

So I've been needing a new radiator for a while now, I've decided I want a new aluminum one instead of getting mine rebuilt. Found something that kinda irks me while looking online. Mine has no PS so my inlet is on the driver side. Now, my dads BJ40 has his inlet on the passenger side, since his thermo housing exits that way but he has no power steering either. It's basically the same radiator, but just with the inlet on the other side. The weird part is that online there are two different designs that are sold: inlet R outlet L for the Bj40 and inlet L outlet L for the Bj42 BUT THEY ONLY SHIP IT FROM CHINA AND IT'S WAY MORE EXPENSIVE. Can't find an LL anywhere in North America. They're all $300 US with "free shipping", while I could get a RL from california all said and done just over $200 CANADIAN. Blows my mind. And they're all made in China anyway, which I don't have a problem with but why can't they just ship a few of the other kind over too?
Anyway, I see no reason why I can't just get the Bj40 one and just run a different, more snake-ish radiator hose and reroute the overflow. Should fit just the same. Just bothers me why I can't get the proper one in North America, makes me feel like I'm missing something. Well that's my rant. Just wanna get her back on the road again!! Input appreciated.

So what did you end up doing? Lots of replies here but have not heard from you Nik?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom