BJ42 is here, finally... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The '83 BJ42 has finally arrived, got it through customs, tagged titled bal bla bla... After running through the gong-show that is the port of Baltimore in Dundalk (wow, this place looks just like Surrey... what a shame).

Anyway, it's in better shape than I had hoped. Tub was reconditioned, fiberglass fenders, minimal rust (I know where to look). But some things don't make sense. No disc brakes, WTF? I thought they ditched the front drum brakes after 1975? No power steering, yet again WTF? It looked like there was a bracket for the P/S pump, but no pump. Do I have a BJ42 sitting on an older FJ40 frame? At least it's a 5 speed and FF rear axle.

How much crap to go through to put on front disc brakes?

Here it is... eBay Motors: Toyota : Land Cruiser (item 260307484969 end time Oct-28-08 20:00:40 PDT) Looks about as good as it does in the pics.
Roll bar is missing too. Double WTF?

Forgot to add, dumb mufuh didn't think to top off the system with proper antifreeze so the damn thig was froze up pretty good after 2 months on a ship's deck and -20 deg C here in MD. Mechanic is going to pressure test the cooling system, it does start and run nothing seems to leak, the coolant was more like a slush-puppy than frozen solid so I'm hoping no major damage, just hoses, etc.

Last edited:
It sounds like the truck is Aussie spec. They didn't get the discs for a long time and the hard tops may have never had the rollbars as they were a softtop only spec. A lot of the Aussie specs were pretty minimal builds and therefore they produced a version called the LX that had a lot of the upgrades as a package.\

Congrats on the rig!

Aha. That makes sense, as this was one produced for the Kiwi market, which I'm sure is the same as Aussie specs. If I remember right, the LX also had 3 windshield wipers. I guess same goes for the power steering?

While I think of it, would one look up the front brake parts (here in the US) as a 1975 FJ40? Also, any difference between LHD and RHD tie rod ends and ball joints? Pitman arm?

If you all want a real BJ42, you need a Canadien spec, no seriously aussi BJ42 didn't have roll bar.

I would have a very hard time finding a Can spec BJ42 in this good of shape for $6,000. I can live with a few shortcomings, nothing that can't be fixed :). Besides, I already have a BJ74 that will be road-legal here in the US in 11 months, 5 days, 4 hours 29 minutes and 6 seconds...

Wow, you've got a winner there. It looks to be in really nice shape. I have almost the same Cruiser as you and paid twice that not even a year ago.

You lucked out with a 5 spd...I'm doing that swap now. No A/C, roll bar or power steering on mine either. You'll find that lack of power steering is no biggie unless you go big on the tires.

Run a few cans of "Sea Foam" through the system (in the crankcase was the most noticeable for me), drain the coolant, grease all the zerks, change all the fluids and you'll be in business. I added a couple of squirts of grease to the front knuckles just for good measure as well.

:cheers:

Got the mechanic on top of all that. He's giving it the once-over and sending it for state inspection. I would like to upgrade this from armstrong steering becuase it's going to be for the 'ol lady's DD and I ot some 33"x12" sitting on the BJ74 waiting to be swapped out. Downey and Marlincrawler have pretty nice roll-bar kits for not too bad of a price, not a huge priority at this point.

Welcome to the club of people on this board who've bought BJ42s from chrisman61 on ebay! Myself and Joe Egolf also have one, we're both very pleased.

Mine has come a long way - I paid about what you did, but mine was in a little rougher shape. Drum brakes, no rollbar, etc are all par for the course. Also, take a close look at the rear jump seats - you'll notice they're unlike anything you'll see on this site (simpler hinge, no legs, etc) - the common wisdom says Toyota shipped these without rear seats to NZ to squeeze into a different tax bracket and then Toyota NZ has a 3rd party make the jump seats. Quirky.

EDIT:

ooooh, i see you get to play the my-driver's-seat-doesn't-match-the-passenger-seat-game. Misery loves company, just forget now about trying to find a replacement - I looked for a year and came up dry, ended up going with US-style buckets in place of both seats and adding a center console.

how the hell are you going to fit 33x12's on that thing?!?!

Last edited:
There is only one nice CDN spec BJ42 with factory power steering and it is mine ;), seriously that is a good score. Get a OME Heavy power steering and you'll be in business.

I think the OME Heavy will be too stiff on that truck. The medium would ride better. I have the Dakar medium on my 42 and I have a bull bar, aux tank and a Metal Tech roll bar. It rides great when I have the hard top on. If I take the top off the ride quality goes downhill. What's the hard top weigh?

BTW, the drums on the front of the Aussie spec cruisers are much larger than the U.S. spec drums. I thought about swapping to discs on my 42 and decided against it. Stopping after a water crossing is difficult but other than that I'm happy with how the drums work.

BTW, my wife drives the 42 most of the summer. (She likes the topless truck.) It's armstrong steering with 33 x 9.5s. She's never complained about it being hard to steer.

33"x12" will just fit on stock suspension with a 1/4" wheel spacer on the front. If it's just highway driving, the tires don't rub anywhere, off-road it would be an issue, lift kit will come later. So, what's a good source for the Aussie spec brake parts? Other than SOR...

33"x12" will just fit on stock suspension with a 1/4" wheel spacer on the front. If it's just highway driving, the tires don't rub anywhere, off-road it would be an issue, lift kit will come later. So, what's a good source for the Aussie spec brake parts? Other than SOR...

He meant to say that you already have the Aussie-style front drums.

I decided to keep mine as well, stops fine.

Joe Egolf, I think, is keeping his drums too.

BJ42Gringo also has front drums and is keeping em.

About the tires - if you say so. A 31x10.5 will rub against the drag link at full lock. You're going bigger and wider - I bet it gets worse on the drag link, and I bet you'll rub the outside of the rear fenders on any kind of bump. Just sayin.

33's work great on the BJ74, then again the '74 is quite a different critter than a BJ42, if they don't fit, they don't fit, just trying to avoid a new set of tires (my Scottish half coming out...). I'll keep the drums for now, I had a 1975 FJ40, and the brakes seemed to work pretty good. So again, who carries Aussie size drums and shoes, in case I need 'em?

33's work great on the BJ74, then again the '74 is quite a different critter than a BJ42, if they don't fit, they don't fit, just trying to avoid a new set of tires (my Scottish half coming out...). I'll keep the drums for now, I had a 1975 FJ40, and the brakes seemed to work pretty good. So again, who carries Aussie size drums and shoes, in case I need 'em?

Oh, my bad, I get ya now. Toyota should have everything you need - they'll get it from overseas for you. Finding aftermarket on this side of the pond will be close to impossible.

43501 DRUM SUB-ASSY, FRONT BRAKE
43512‑60030 BJ40*, 42, 43*, 45*, 46, HJ47*, FJ40, 43, 45*..GEN, ARL 2 $215.87
43512‑60030 BJ40, 42, 43, 45, HJ47, FJ4*..GEN 2 $215.87

47651 LINING, FRONT BRAKE SHOE (FOR FRONT OR UPPER)
47651‑60020 BJ40*, 42, 43*, 45*, 46, HJ47*, FJ40, 43, 45*..GEN, ARL 2 $32.86
47651‑60020 BJ40, 42, 43, 45, HJ47, FJ4*..GEN 2 $32.86
47652 LINING, FRONT BRAKE SHOE (FOR REAR OR LOWER)
47651‑60020 BJ40*, 42, 43*, 45*, 46, HJ47*, FJ40, 43, 45*..GEN, ARL 2 $32.86
47651‑60020 BJ40, 42, 43, 45, HJ47, FJ4*..GEN 2 $32.86

IH8MUD Banner Advertising will become your best friend.

I think the OME Heavy will be too stiff on that truck. The medium would ride better. I have the Dakar medium on my 42 and I have a bull bar, aux tank and a Metal Tech roll bar. It rides great when I have the hard top on. If I take the top off the ride quality goes downhill. What's the hard top weigh?

BTW, the drums on the front of the Aussie spec cruisers are much larger than the U.S. spec drums. I thought about swapping to discs on my 42 and decided against it. Stopping after a water crossing is difficult but other than that I'm happy with how the drums work.

BTW, my wife drives the 42 most of the summer. (She likes the topless truck.) It's armstrong steering with 33 x 9.5s. She's never complained about it being hard to steer.

I have both heavy front and rear. I guess it depends on what you will have installed on the truck. But i would even take a bit stiffer on the rear.

If you want disks, I may be able to help you out. I may have a front axle from a JDM RHD BJ44 as I might be putting a set of FJ60 axles under my rig this summer. They are disks and you will need a different brake master cylinder... that I also have! ;)

You can look up a 1975-1983 FJ/BJ40 (USA and canada) for disk parts. The pitman arm and everything else should swap, except for the center arm itself (the pivot is the same kit). Also, if you are ineterested in turboing it, Diesel42 and I have put together a complete kit for the B sereis engine that comes with everything. As of right now the complete kit with everything NEW (turbo, manifold, gaskets, adapters, lines and everything!) will cost around $1500-$1700. Let me know as the kits out of AUS are running $3000.

Cool, part numbers. Hopefully I won't need 'em just yet. Always fun to go into Wesminster Toyota and educate them :)

Tie rod ends etc. the same for LHD as RHD? The unit has some steering issues (surprise, surprise) it's probably just the centre link (it's almost always the centre link), but it would be good to know if there is any difference.

Ah yes, Roodog's I forgot about those guys, thanks. Probably quicker than Toyota can get them here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom