BJ42 is here, finally... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[Forgot to add, dumb mufuh didn't think to top off the system with proper antifreeze so the damn thig was froze up pretty good after 2 months on a ship's deck and -20 deg C here in MD.[/quote]

Ah! Same thing happend to me a couple months ago. I bought my BJ42 from an importer in Florida. Had it shipped to Rochester, NY in January. As soon as I got it I checked the antifreeze. It looked really GREEN and I thought I was good for a couple weeks until I could get some free time to change out all the fluids.

But nope! That green stuff turned into an ICEE the first time we got down to ~20F. When I saw the slush I almost fainted. Flushed and refilled on the spot. No damage, thank goodness.

Aha. That makes sense, as this was one produced for the Kiwi market, which I'm sure is the same as Aussie specs. If I remember right, the LX also had 3 windshield wipers. I guess same goes for the power steering?

I have an '82 BJ42 LX.

I've got three wipers, front disks, ower steering, dash pad (but not knee pads) and an additional panel for the various dash knobs and radio. I've only seen this extra dash panel on a few trucks so I'm guessing it's part of the LX package as well.

Ok, got it road-worthy, finally. It's in really good shape, all in all. It does have the 40 series wnder (centre link). But some new sneakers really made a huge difference, I stuck with the 31x10.5 R15's that it came with. There's a fair bit of slop in the shift lever (seat & bushing?) but only clashes very rarely. downshifting into first. Another tip, on the subject of radiators, there must have been 3 or 4 pounds of sludge in the cooling system so a good flush out was in order. I found out why the re-core was so expensive, the shop (a really good guy taken stuff to him before) only used a staggered 4 core on this type of rad. He wasn't expensive, just the materials. On the up side, she's cool as a cucumber, barely gets above the first hash-mark (yes, I know how notoriously crappy OE Toyota guages are).

Next will be a P/S setup from a 60 series, the good folks at Raddcruisers are going to try to set me up with it, yay! no more centre link. The drum brakes seem to work fine, it was just a nightmare getting the right parts, I just caught SOR on an off week. I might just order up a set of shoes, etc. on a slow boat from Australia and just have 'em on hand for the next time around. If I remember correctly the drum brakes on the old FJ40 lasted like 80,000 miles or so.

The turbo I'm researching now, this thing is mostly going to be a DD/grocery getter with occasional off-road use. So, I'm just looking for one that's going to give me pretty even power across the torque band.

Yay! Another money pit on wheels! :)

really, i "thought" most of the 40 series in Oz had drums all around.

seems i learned something new this morning.

All Australian bj42s had discs on the front , I think only NZ built 42s had drums.

My 1979 Australian BJ40 is drums-all-round. But of course it isn't a BJ42.

Are you sure that all Australian BJ42s had front discs?

My 1981 BJ42 LX has factory front discs and powersteering. As far as I know all BJ42's over here have that. Rollbars were an option. Mine has only 2 wipers. The rest were all options. ie not all BJ42 LX's were 6 seaters (mines not). A/C was also an option (unfortunately mine doesn't have A/C either) Rear heater was an option etc etc.

Front discs came out here in 1981-84 before that it was drums all round.

Stop buying up all our Cruisers!!!!

My 1981 BJ42 LX has factory front discs and powersteering. As far as I know all BJ42's over here have that. ....

Yeah. That's what interests me. IE. Whether it was all BJ42s or just the LX models.

I think it would be very peculiar (but not out-of-the-question) for just NZ to stick with drums-all-round into the 42-series.

:cheers:

Yeah. That's what interests me. IE. Whether it was all BJ42s or just the LX models.:cheers:

I haven't come across a BJ42 in Oz that wasn't an LX. So yeah as far as I know all BJ42's in Oz were atleast factory front discs and factory powersteering, the rest were options.

Toyota got off their arse pretty quick and sent the correct frame No. off to NZ Land Transport tout suite. Even better, Land Transport got it fixed up in a day or three. Just waiting to hear back if they are going to send me some documents to present to the MVA here. Toyota NZ is a lot easier to deal with than Toyota Motor Sales, or Toyota Japan.

Some new mirrors, a proper exhuast and she'll be ready for inspection.

This unit is really pared down, no dash pads no rear heat, no nothin', more spartan than the old 1975 FJ40 I used to have. It almost looks like Toyota was marketing these like fleet/service vehicles, like for powerline crews and whatnot.

I just sent an '81 non-LX BJ42 to the States with factory front disk brakes: no power steering, no air con, 4 speed...but definintely with factory front disk brakes. I also sent a 1980 BJ40 (not a BJ42, but a BJ40) to the States, and it had factory drums. I also sent an 82 HJ47 to the States recently which had drum brakes all around.

Cheers,

Josh

My 1980 Aussie-spec HJ45 has drums all around. I wonder why one of the previous owners converted it from discs to drums?

no the 45 and 47 series cruisers came out with either drums OR disks.

My 1979 Australian BJ40 is drums-all-round. But of course it isn't a BJ42.

Are you sure that all Australian BJ42s had front discs?
disks started in 1980 in australia. all bj42's and Fj40's after 1980 were disks in the front
in AU, all LX's are 6 seats with stripped trim and brown trimming to the rear of the vehicle. All of them have power steering and are 5 speed. ALL LX's have 3 wipers. All LX's have sliding rear windows
If you have a AU vehicle with an LX badge that does not have all of the above, then
a- its not an LX
b- someones changed the bits.

BTW. i have a few of these trucks. :) my favourites are the

2 1984 BJ42 LX's complete with factory AC in freeborn red.

what would they be worth in the US?

:)

JEs

disks started in 1980 in australia. all bj42's and Fj40's after 1980 were disks in the front
in AU, all LX's are 6 seats with stripped trim and brown trimming to the rear of the vehicle. All of them have power steering and are 5 speed. ALL LX's have 3 wipers. All LX's have sliding rear windows
If you have a AU vehicle with an LX badge that does not have all of the above, then
a- its not an LX
b- someones changed the bits.

BTW. i have a few of these trucks. :) my favourites are the

2 1984 BJ42 LX's complete with factory AC in freeborn red.

what would they be worth in the US?

JEs

Are you sure? I'm the 3rd owner of mine, knew the son of the original owner and was good mates with the 2nd owner. Had my truck looked over by another mate who works at toyota and he joked about it being the LX - "luxury model".

I'm sure mine is an LX with factory disc brake front/drums rear, factory power steering, 2 wipers, 3 seater and only a 4 speed. I was told by my mate at Toyota that the rest were all options.

Dunno could be wrong and maybe mines not an LX??

Sorry Jess928, but that is not correct. The H55F was still an option on the LX; it was not standard. You can tell this by looking at the trim plate of an LX with a 4 speed, and you will likely see that the transmission listed is 'H41' not 'H55F'. Nothing with Toyota is simple enough for a broad statement involving the word 'all'.

Rufus,

As I understand it, NZ is different from Oz- that is why they got the BJ46 (from Japan) and why they do not always have the padded dash on years where we have it here. I have heard that NZ got some CKD vehicles from Toyota which they assembled in NZ, but I can't back this up.

Cheers,

Josh

As I understand it, NZ is different from Oz- that is why they got the BJ46 (from Japan) and why they do not always have the padded dash on years where we have it here. I have heard that NZ got some CKD vehicles from Toyota which they assembled in NZ, but I can't back this up.

Yep, NZ is a "GEN" country in Toyota's eyes, while Australia has its own designator ("AUS", predictably).

But NZ did not get the 46, only Japan.

Sorry Jess928, but that is not correct. The H55F was still an option on the LX; it was not standard. You can tell this by looking at the trim plate of an LX with a 4 speed, and you will likely see that the transmission listed is 'H41' not 'H55F'. Nothing with Toyota is simple enough for a broad statement involving the word 'all'.

Rufus,

Cheers,

Josh

hi mate

unfortunatly, as far as my experience goes, im not wrong.
NO BJ42 LX's came with 4 speeds. bj42's that are not LX's had a 4 speed and option on 5 speed.

BTW, its very easy to put the LX badges on a vehicle that is not an LX, ( dealers do this in australia regularly with other vehicles)

the things that make an LX are the options that came standard, not the ability to have everything as an option, this

bj42 lx's...
3 wipers
striped seat trim
power steering
6 seats
plastic trimming in the rear of the cabin, and roof.
sliding rear windows
trimming on the rear barn doors
LX badges ( common with at least the 73 series trucks from 85 onward)
optional AC

any other trucks other than the above in the bj42 series are abominations,

Jes

OK Jes, no worries. There is a green 1983 BJ42 LX in Adelaide with 3 wipers, striped interior, power steering, 4 speed and no air con. The plaque on the firewall says it came with the H41 gear box, and the owner reckons he has had it since new- but perhaps he is wrong.

Either way, there is no doubt that the LX is a great rig.

Cheers,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom