BJ42 is here, finally... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool, part numbers. Hopefully I won't need 'em just yet. Always fun to go into Wesminster Toyota and educate them :)

Tie rod ends etc. the same for LHD as RHD? The unit has some steering issues (surprise, surprise) it's probably just the centre link (it's almost always the centre link), but it would be good to know if there is any difference.

YES! They are different - the TRE with the hole for the relay rod is on the other side (duh) which means that its has opposite threads and visa versa. Best and easiest place I could find to buy a set for mine was SOR - I think it was $120 for all 5 TREs.

If you want disks, I may be able to help you out. I may have a front axle from a JDM RHD BJ44 as I might be putting a set of FJ60 axles under my rig this summer. They are disks and you will need a different brake master cylinder... that I also have! ;)

You can look up a 1975-1983 FJ/BJ40 (USA and canada) for disk parts. The pitman arm and everything else should swap, except for the center arm itself (the pivot is the same kit). Also, if you are ineterested in turboing it, Diesel42 and I have put together a complete kit for the B sereis engine that comes with everything. As of right now the complete kit with everything NEW (turbo, manifold, gaskets, adapters, lines and everything!) will cost around $1500-$1700. Let me know as the kits out of AUS are running $3000.

First, how much for the axle? Second, what turbo, Garret or CT26? Liquid cooled? Aneroid, or does the HAC on the injector pump work well enough? When I had the unit inspected while it was still in NZ it failed the leakdown test pretty badly, but that's ok, I gots another 3B on the way. Either way, I will be in the market for a turbo kit.

YES! They are different - the TRE with the hole for the relay rod is on the other side (duh) which means that its has opposite threads and visa versa. Best and easiest place I could find to buy a set for mine was SOR - I think it was $120 for all 5 TREs.

I had a feeling there would be something stupid like that, good to know SOR has them, for a surprisingly reasonable price.

Thanks for all the inputs!

The one I did on my BJ44 (2B engine) and Diesel42 did on his (3B) is using the new style Garretts. I also have one stock rebuilt CT26 that I could use in a kit (you won't need an adapter!) that was off of a 3SGTE engine.

I can get you liquid cooled or not. Mine is not as common opinion here is that is it more headache than needed for our use. My IP does not have the HAC but D42's does and he has not had any issues making adjustments. If you want, I can give you more info by email including a complete parts list. PM me and I'll send it off...

Not sure on price on the axle. It depends on whether or not I install the 5 speed I have and want to keep the 4.11 diffs or use the 60's 3.73s.

Awesome rig... congrats! You are in for some fun and new friends!

K

Shop had a look-see today. Radiator is full of pinholes, and has been repaired many times over the years so a recore is in order. As I suspected, the brakes are about fuct, at least in the rear end. Leaky cylinders, shoes, drums the whole bit. It's probably safe to assume the fronts aren't much better. So new brakes all 'round.

One question. I have new cylinders for the '85 BJ74 sitting on the shelf, could they possibly fit the BJ42? Perhaps I'll run them up there and see if they fit...

Be that as it may, if all I need is a rad, steering joints and brakes, perhaps I got off fairly easy. Hopefully the steering knuckle bearings are ok, PIA redoing the shims and pre-load etc.

More fun...

Rad re-core to factory specs at a local shop = $635 :eek: wowzers. SOR couldn't find a BJ42 rad, but for tha sake of comparison they quoted me a price on a rad for a 2H. Are you sitting down? $1,600 :eek: x 10 !! I usually get dinner and a movie before I get fuct. 4Wheel says $525 CDN for a new OEM rad, that's better.

Found rear brakes locally, SOR carries the fronts, $72 + core for shoes, $40 for good used drums. SOR is a crap shoot. They always manage to surprise me one way or the other.

Ok, just got off the horn with 4wheel. The OEM rad will be on a slow boat from Australia, 4-6 weeks, not an option as it needs to pass inspection in 3 weeks. They do have a aluminum rad in stock for around $500 CDN.

So, what would Jesus do?
Aluminum rad for ~$400 USD, or am I better off paying the extra $235 for a factory spec re-core??
Pros? Cons? any opinions?

I got mine recored for $350, its beautiful and straight-finned like OEM; find a different shop, recores are out there dirt cheap, even $350 is expensive.

Go to Toyota for the shoes, they're not always more expensive than aftermarket.

Well lookie here...
RockAuto Parts Catalog

I found one!

Not quite. Notice that while you selected a BJ42, the engine type the catalog is showing is a 4.2L 6cyl - thats the 2F (FJ) engine.

I've bought a lot of good parts from Rockauto, but don't trust their catalog.

Look under the "Landcruiser" model instead of "Landcruiser BJ42" and you'll be able to select the 3.4L 4-cyl engine (3B). They don't list a radiator for that application however.

Recore beats aftermarket IMO anyway.

EDIT: Also rockauto usually uses photos of the specific part and that is the wrong shape for a 3B radiator.

Check with Otterav on the radiator he bought. It's from US Radiator and I think they call it the Desert Triple Pass or something like that. It's got the wrong lower outlet location for a 3B but I think he said that's very easy to work around. There might be a thread about that radiator somewhere.

That's wierd, oh well if it doesn't fit I can send it back. I'll get the one I have re-cored. I have to shop around a bit $635 seems a bit outrageous I remember having a 2F rad done and it was about $400.

I'm a bit leery of an aluminum rad, aluminum is wonderful stuff but it tends to work-harden very easily and probably wouldn't do so good with a lot of long term vibration.

.. So again, who carries Aussie size drums and shoes, in case I need 'em?

Not sure about Toyota in your area but on my LX I have rear drums that are exactly the same as the drums found on the 80 series. I have just rebuilt the cylinders, replaced the linings and bellcranck cable - all the same as 80 series. The rear main oil seal is exactly the same as found in our KZTe Hiluxes. Injectors seem the same as found on the old 2.4L donk. Seems Mr Yoda likes to use certain parts in different applications/vehicles

I think the drop in commodity prices hasn't trickled down through the supply chain yet. Copper and aluminum was extremely expensive last August. The prices of commodity metals has dropped by over 50% since then. Radiator shops may eventually pass on the savings to their customers.

recored the rad for the HZJ40 and upgraded to 4 core for $340 CND.
if you are going to turbo then go up to a 4 core.
pick up a 13BT manifold and source a mapped turbo for your driving style
the link to your truck is dead so i have to ask, do you have full length side seats or the stubbies? if you have stubbies then i have a factory original roll bar sitting here in excellent shape.

congrates

BTW, 4 wheel drum have more stopping foot print than do disc, disc have less brake fade as well as the disc funtion MUCH better in the wet but the large drums work well. i wouldn't swap out the drums for disc till you are SURE you need to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom