BJ42 H55F problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have a 1982 BJ42 3B engine with this problem to gearbox : all gears work pretty good and is quiet,but the 5th gear jumps straight out as soon as you back off the pedal gas.....
furthermore :

- good clearance for shifter on the floor
- new bush on the bottom of the stick
- 2 locating pins in the housing are tight

but still jumps out of gear when I decelerate........

I also read in the forum
" is to place the 5th gear selector fork in the press and bend it by about 2 mm.. "

can someone help me ?
on which side should the gear slector fork be folded ?
do you have any advice to solve the problem ?
thank you

Giacomo

It sounds like the detente spring in the shifting mechanism is weak or broken. My HJ61 did the same thing. Easiest way it to use a bungy cord to hold the gear stick in 5th place as long as it doesnt grind etc

Ive heard its not a great idea bending shift forks, I forget why.

The spring pushes on the ball to hold it in gear. There is a set for each gear. For some reason, 5th always goes. Probably a design fault from converting a 4sp to 5sp

1584403723079.png

Hi roscoFJ73
thank you for answer
so it shoul be the : 9050110067 Spring Compression No.2 ?
do you know if you can access the spare part by removing the cover inside the cabin or do you have to put the gearbox on the workbench ?

Giacomo

Replacing the lever isn't the answer to your problem.

Is the gearbox original to the vehicle, any idea of its mileage?...Has the gearbox ever been rebuilt?
Gearbox original : 11/1982 290.00 Km
I don't know if it was ever rebuilt ....

Giacomo

Had the same issue with mine, replaced the 5th gear hub with the updated one to fix the isssue, problem gone. Since I have rebuilt another box (early 60 series) with the same parts and there is a definite visual difference.

Had the same issue with mine, replaced the 5th gear hub with the updated one to fix the isssue, problem gone. Since I have rebuilt another box (early 60 series) with the same parts and there is a definite visual difference.

Thank you Hulsty

do you have a part number of updated 5th gear hub ?
why updated ?
It is different ?
I read the 29 pages of your thread ..... congratulations
where do you live ?

Giacomo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom