BJ42 dash board pics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

indeed you are correct, there were many different configurations for the 40, 42 and petrol variants in the different countries they were sent to, and i can only speak to the ones i have seen in aus. Although indeed i have never seen a dash mounted glow setup from factory. Although i have seen some transitional 47 series utilising parts from ealier variants, namely the in-dash coil which is the same system as used on my '79 40 as in the 42 pic from henry james the 47th. Note also this pic does not appear to have anything in the hole under the warning lights, other than a rubber plug.

For the 42 and petrol 40, they progressed to the later model dash with the scew-in console and foam dash mount, although i had a 81 fj40 troopy with the old style dash and foam mount, but my 81 hj47 has all of the features current with the later models, so im thinking they didnt waste too many parts just because they were an older style.

Good pick up henry james

Sam

also, as for the locking hubs, they were included because being able to disconnect the front wheels from the front axles and diff (even when these were already disconnected from the transfer case) will reduce the amount of weight that needs to spin up every time you accelerate, thus reducing fuel consumption and most importantly, increasing usable power. given a B engine is only rated at 80hp. Trust me, you will notice the difference between locked and unlocked during general street and highway driving. There is no harm in keeping them locked all the time though, just slightly reduced useable power.

(i drive a patrol now :))

Can anybody help with info about which button I am missing please?

2627542.jpg

Same deal, and i better put a disclaimer in, i only know about the 42 and 47 series i have seen in aus. And on those vehicles there was only a rubber plug or aftermarket swtich in that hole. I had the switch for my shooting light there.

Thank you .This one is from Aus so at least I have one less serious item to search for.Now for some original Zebra seats front and back :confused:

I managed to dig out some pics of RHD dashes with the later-style dash plates, and in some cases there was a plug, and in others there was a factory switch in that location. Unfortuntely, WHAT the switch is remains a mystery.

It's the 'FD' switch again in the 3rd picture below certainly, which is a Japanese-spec. vehicle. In the second the switch has a green cover (the 'choke'?), and the steering wheel is from an earlier model. Another option was a fog lamp switch, though I haven't seen the knob for that switch yet.

Note the nifty defroster nozzles in the third picture!

Last edited:
Here's another couple that I dug up, from a LHD truck. It looks like it's an FJ4* model, and the button in orange could be the 'choke' (best I can make out).

By the way, if anyone is interested, I have a RHD dash plate, complete with swtiches/knobs, warning light, digiclock, lighted lighter, along with the correct dash sheet metal section that goes behind it. I'd be willing to sell it; PM if interested.

Last edited:
Here is my truck 83 BJ42, top left knob is not OEM, but was added for the fog lights. Don't know what ever was there. I didn't have the clock so i installed the arb lockers switch there, they fit nicely. I also have 3 sportcomp autometer gauge now, not shown on those old pictures. I don't have the rpm on the left side of the cluster. Instead i have window defrost tube, something i never seen on a other BJ42 from outside canada.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Thanx for all the help guys.
Unfortunately my truck is still being shipped so I can't even check to see if something was wired in there.

I don't have the rpm on the left side of the cluster. Instead i have window defrost tube, something i never seen on a other BJ42 from outside canada.

As far as I know, Toyota NEVER did put the tachometers on the LHD trucks. The tachometers for the 40s are made with an internal slant to the gage face, meant to be viewed from the left only. I ended up modifying my dash heavily to fit the tachometer to the right side of the instrument cluster. It could only be fitted in one place and still be in the dash, due to the defrost nozzles (making it not possible to mount on the left of the instrument cluster) and upper defrost plenum (requiring that the tach be placed lower down on the dash). It is possible to fit one though, if you're handy with the sheet metal and welder, and willing to chop into the sacred dash.

Last edited:
What i meant is i never seen here on mud a BJ42 with defrost tube on the side like mine.

As far as I know, Toyota NEVER did put the tachometers on the LHD trucks. The tachometers for the 40s are made with an internal slant to the gage face, meant to be viewed from the left only. I ended up modifying my dash heavily to fit the tachometer to the right side of the instrument cluster. It could only be fitted in one place and still be in the dash, due to the defrost nozzles (making it not possible to mount on the left of the instrument cluster) and upper defrost plenum (requiring that the tach be placed lower down on the dash). It is possible to fit one though, if you're handy with the sheet metal and welder, and willing to chop into the sacred dash.

Hey eleblanc,

Are you sportin leather seats in your Cruiser ? They look comfortable whatever they are.

Matt

They sure are confy, they are SAAB seat. Get the oldest, older they are mostlikely better quality the leather are. I met lccruiser at the FG and he also had installed leather seat from saab and even was running the heater in the seat. That is after blowing on of the air bag (Sorry Lccruiser, was too funny)

Seriously old saab seat you should find them for cheap.

i believe the side window defrost tubes was a cold weather option fitted into Canadian trucks... maybe units in Russia might have recieved the side window defrosters..

i believe the side window defrost tubes was a cold weather option fitted into Canadian trucks... maybe units in Russia might have recieved the side window defrosters..

And they don't work well, at best they will defrost a circle about 5-6" diameter in the window....

Those side defrost nozzles are part of "cold weather spec."

Now, here's a picture of another type of side defroster nozzle that I spotted on a JDM truck (note it attached to the top of the main windshield defrost baffle). I have looked into it, but can't determine if it is a factory part or not. I wonder how well it worked compared to the dash-mounted version? It would be the only way to have the factory tachometer AND side defrost...
nifty defroster nozzles.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom