BJ42 - 3B to 13B-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day boys and girls,

1st thanks for this lovely forum and its members, without this I would be lost and very rich, but now I'm poor and own a Cruiser :flipoff2:.

I'm a proud owner of a 81 BJ42 since 2012-08 and loving it. The truck had a 3B engine and a 4 speed gearbox in it. A few months back my truck broke down with a catastrophic engine failure. Well that was the end of my happy life with the cruiser until I found a 1985 74 cruiser with a 13B-t and 5 speed gearbox for a good price.

I have completed the install of the engine and I just need a sanity check from the MUD community that has done this swap. I am still using my original 4 speed at the moment as the 5 speed in the BJ74 needs a tuneup because it jumps out of 5th gear sometimes.

Here is a pic of my BJ42 cruiser.

Mud Forum Pic1.jpg

Where I'm at with my truck:

13B-T is in and it starts - Completed
Used my original 12v starter and alternator - Completed
Mud Forum Pic2.jpg

Fuel return line to fuel tank - Completed
Mud Forum Pic3.jpg

Radiator hoses connected - Completed
Oil and water temp sensors connected -Completed

Shutoff vacuum valve not completed. I've bought a step up 12v-24v converter for the shutoff valve. Tried connecting it up, but the engine does not shut down. This is where I need some help. I know how its connected up on the BJ74, but on the BJ42 I think I down need all of the vacuum lines connected.

I don't have ac so I don't think I need that vacuum connected.
Mud Forum Pic10.jpg

More pic's to come.

This is the vacuum VSV and how it is currently connected.
Mud Forum Pic11.jpg

Mud Forum Pic5.jpg

This is the step up converter that I used and it is working.
Mud Forum Pic7.jpg

I know that connections looks like the wild west, but its just temporary.

So this is where I'm at now. Any help will be appreciated and once I got this sorted, I will make a step by step for future mudders doing the same conversion.

Thanks
Jacques

Please let me know if I'm missing something here as I'm a completed novice with cars. This is my 1st engine swap that I've tackeled by myself. My mechanic skills are to only check oil, water and breaks LOL.

You're doing really great, I have a '73 FJ40 in pcs with a 13B-T to go in it, and I've collected a '80 BJ42
wiring harness. So I'm going to save this thread as a future guide. Keep up the good work.

Thanks cruiserpilot. Best of luck with your truck. The 13B-T just looks mean in a 40. This VSV setup is my last obstacle that I need to overcome then I'm a happy camper.

To close the intake shutter you need at least 300 mm Hg of vacuum here...

Mud Forum Pic5.jpg

Would this action (circled in blue) .... of leaving this vacuum line unconnected ..... be stopping your actuator from getting vacuum now (and thereby preventing engine shutdown via the key)?
Mud Forum Pic11.jpg

:beer:

Hi Marbles,

Thanks for your reply. I had the vacuum line circled in blue blocked off, no luck turning the engine off via the key. Also I had the vacuum line going the the AC and the line going to the 2 solenoids not sure if that is what it is called blocked off. I will test this again tomorrow.

Note this engine was originally a 24v engine and I have changed it to 12v(starter/alternator) except for the VSV valve and this is where I used the step up converter.

Here is what I think I should have:
Mud Pic 13.JPG

1 - By default the VSV line 1 goes to the back of the engine and from there it's connected to the alternator pump and the 4x4 system. I think I need to block this off as my alternator does not have this vacuum line.(Would this be correct)

2 - This VSV line goes to the actuator. (This needs to be connected)

3 - This VSV line goes to the air filter box. This is not yet connected It was also not connected on the BJ74 and the truck did stop on via the key.

Mud Pic 14.JPG

4 - This line goes to the AC. I did not use the AC on my cruiser. This needs to be blocked off. (Would this be correct)

5 - This line goes from the turbo cross pipe to the last picture above to the right. (I'm not sure if this is needed on the BJ42 and I am not sure what the function of these 2 units are)

So in short I only need lines 2,3 and maybe 5 the rest needs to be blocked off.
I know I can used a manual shutoff, but I would like to use the key.
Thanks again for your help.

Jacques

Good news guys and girls got it sorted. Had a blond moment.

A mate of mine came over and we had a play with the VSV lines. Looks like I needed the vacuum from the alternator to feed the VSV.

What we did was replaced this on my 12v alternator...
Mud Pic 15.JPG

with this one of the 24v alternator. This vacuum line goes to the VSV line marked 1 on previous foto.
Mud Pic 16.JPG

Now my engine shuts off via the key... yeaaaa baby.

Just 1 question post 7 the last picture marked no 5. What is that used for. It was located on the right fender of the BJ74.

So your 12V alternator has a vacuum pump attached? This is your original alternator, or did you convert
the 24V alternator that came with the engine?

Yes this is my 12v alternator from my 3B engine. It does have a pump at the back but it didn't have the vacuum pipe connection on it like the 24v alternator. We just swapped the 2 oil feed fittings on top of the pumps over.

Ok, now I understand those two photos better. Thx J

..... Looks like I needed the vacuum from the alternator to feed the VSV.....

Great! (That's what I thought.)

...Just 1 question post 7 the last picture marked no 5. What is that used for. It was located on the right fender of the BJ74.

I think they are your turbo light pressure switches (green and amber/warning)

:beer:

Thanks guys, now I just need to tidy up the wires and get a new 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust. The glowscreen I will sort out later.

It's almost Weekend and time for some :beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom