BJ42 3B clutch fan question??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 83 BJ42 is from AUS in which it did not come with a clutch type water pump fan, Am I able to put one on it since I just ordered a non clutch type fan which got to me to find out it they sent me the clutch type? I like the idea of the clutch to help heat up quicker since I live in a somewhat cold state? do I need anything else besides the clutch itself? Any wiring? How does it know when to engage? I thought it would have something to do with the thermostat?

Thanks
Roberto

The fluid coupling works on temperature across the fan/coupling assemmbly, when the the rad is hot the hot air flowing across the coupling causes it to lockup and engage the fan. The rest of the time it free wheels (turns) but is not fully engaged (saves fuel). These units are probably the next best thing to an electric fan but without the wiring issuses! and last a long time. If you want to know if its working correctly, take the truck for a spin get it nice and hot then stop shut the engine off and see if the coupling is hard to turn or does not spin easily. When its cold it will turn with a bit of drag, the trick is to get the diesel engine hot enough in the colder climates?

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom