bj42 1981 starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My starter is giving me an issue. I'm at a time where I have more time to tinker. Is it difficult to remove one to take in to be repaired?

2 bolts and plenty of room to get at them, should take you 15 min if you know where to find it. I had mine rebuilt by an old school starter/alternator shop for about $200, but I needed to get back on the road. If you have the time I would try to rebuild it yourself:

My starter is giving me an issue. I'm at a time where I have more time to tinker. Is it difficult to remove one to take in to be repaired?

Thanks
2 bolts and plenty of room to get at them, should take you 15 min if you know where to find it. I had mine rebuilt by an old school starter/alternator shop for about $200, but I needed to get back on the road. If you have the time I would try to rebuild it yourself:

Thanks John.
Let's see how I do, what's the worst that could happen?
cheers
Rob in Tsawwassen, BC, Canada

I give it a 2 out of 5 wrenches on the difficulty level. Did mine, and I would say I am a weekend wrencher with s***ty tools. As long as it is stock, you will do fine with the instructions here. Unfortunately mine was already an aftermarket and the replacement parts weren’t an exact fit. Had it rebuilt by a local shop... (good luck finding one) works great now! I assume you have a 24 volt if it is a Canadian model. Those are still readily available, under $200.

I give it a 2 out of 5 wrenches on the difficulty level. Did mine, and I would say I am a weekend wrencher with s***ty tools. As long as it is stock, you will do fine with the instructions here. Unfortunately mine was already an aftermarket and the replacement parts weren’t an exact fit. Had it rebuilt by a local shop... (good luck finding one) works great now! I assume you have a 24 volt if it is a Canadian model. Those are still readily available, under $200.

yes, still in canada. near vancouver...there are some shops that can rebuild it. I may price one out at a local shop that sells 24v starters ( in poco).

thanks for your insight,
rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom