BJ41 - alternator wiring harness troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have obvious alternator problems. The batteries went dead (one more discharged then the other) after a number of starts and runnning it on a few short trips.

When I recieved the 'new' Bj41, I noticed that there is a plug/wire coming from the alternator which is not hooked up to anything (see pic). The alternator is hooked up to the rest of the wiring harness for the vehicle on the second battery, for what I can tell. I assume that the wire/plug is supposed to wire directly into the battery positive terminal of the nearer of the two batteries, and that battery is grounded and then connected to the second battery that the batteries will charge in a series.

The two battery are hooked up as following (see pic of alternator)
A-Battery closest to alternator
- goes to ground
+ goes to - of other battery

B-Battery closest to starter
- connected to + of other battery
+ hooked to wiring harness of vehicle and other plugs (see pic).

So a few questions:

1.) can the wire harness that fits the 12V system be used (can be purchased from SOR), to connect to the nearer of the two batteries positive terminal, or is that harness need to go to both batteries.

2.) is the extra wire/plug for something else the previous owner installed, the alternator is not hooked directly to the battery and the alternator is bad.

3.) can I just hardwire the alternator to the positive terminal of the closer battery?

4.) Is the original alternator for a BJ41 a 24V 20Amp - Nippondesno 100210-1401 - or do I need to look for another replacement.

Has anyone found a good source for replacement alternators (if I can not get this one fixed?)

Thanks for your help to this new Cruiser Rookie!

BJ41 - Pics for previous post

sorry - forgot to attach the pics...

Last edited:
.... I noticed that there is a plug/wire coming from the alternator which is not hooked up to anything (see pic). ...

And that one looks important to me. A thick white wire and connector like that represent the output from my 12V alternator (and I sometimes connect an ammeter between either side of the connector there to check on my alternator output).

.... can the wire harness that fits the 12V system be used (can be purchased from SOR), to connect to the nearer of the two batteries positive terminal, or is that harness need to go to both batteries....

Why do you want to fit a new harness? That one looks OK from the pictures. (I don't think fitting a 12V harness to a 24V vehicle would be wise.)

.....2.) is the extra wire/plug for something else the previous owner installed, the alternator is not hooked directly to the battery and the alternator is bad. 3.) can I just hardwire the alternator to the positive terminal of the closer battery? 4.) Is the original alternator for a BJ41 a 24V 20Amp - Nippondesno 100210-1401 - or do I need to look for another replacement.
Has anyone found a good source for replacement alternators (if I can not get this one fixed?) Thanks for your help to this new Cruiser Rookie!

Sorry AVLFRK. I'm not much help here. I've learnt that 24V systems (particularly the weird Canadian variants) are something for me to steer clear of (in the way of giving advice).

Apparently a lot of owners "stuff things up" on 24V systems by trying to run 12V accessories off just one of their batteries in the pair - And this causes the alternator to find "new shortcuts" for it's charging current to take. (Resulting in damaged alternators and flat batteries.) Beyond saying this - I can't really help you.

:cheers:

I just went down and looked at my 42. The alt is similar. It looks to me like this is your charge wire for the batteries. Put a multimeter between the terminal in the connector and ground. You should see 24 to 27.5 volts. On my rig your wire goes to the battery on the left fender side. If your not seeing 24volts or better I would say you alt is hooped. I can't say if there's an external voltage regulator on these little systems. Someone else can probably clear that up.

BJ41 Alternator

see below

Last edited:
BJ41 - Alternator - Solved?

I just looked at the alternator wires and TommyT was correct - the white wire does go to another white and blue/black wire and an additional connection - so there is two connections to the alternator - both to the harness.

This is the first sunny day, and climbed down under and it looks like someone either unplugged the wire, or that the clip broke and it unlodged itself and got tucked away in the engine.

Now at least I know where it plugs into, now lets see if the alternator actually works.

Sometimes it is the most obvious solution!

Thanks Y'all.

Mine is LHD. The wire runs from the alt on the right side of the eng accross the rad to the batt on the left side. If your alt is putting out, sounds like you got it. Good luck. Gone to work for two to three weeks.:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom