BJ41 24v Alternator alternative (1 Viewer)

Hi guys,

So I swapped my old 24v alternator and I am slapping in a brandnew alternator from an Isuzu 4HF1. Some modifications involved with the altrrnator bracket, maybe my vacuum hoses too and probably changing the belt size.
I got a couple of questions:
1. From the previous alternator, it only had a rating of 25Amps. The new alternator has a rating of 50Amps. What are the advantages of having a higher rated alternator?
2. Would having a bigger vacuum pump have better improvements in the vehicles braking?
3. And lastly, would an internal IC be better than an external voltage regulator?

Thanks,

Carlo

Bigger alternator will be able to supply more power to the vehicle, allowing you to run more lights, winches and after market accessories without running the risk of falling voltage or draining the battery. 50amp is still pretty low but depends how much stuff you want to power.

Unless the original vacuum pump was failing, then no more vacuum won’t improve brake performance. You would need to upgrade the booster to notice an improvement. There are lots of ways of improving braking performance but they all cost money.

Generally yes, an internal regulator tends to be more reliable and is a simplier design making it easy to change.

It should be ok, but take notice of the size of the pulleys on the new alternator. The pulley size is matched to the harmonic balancer, sometimes when swapping to a new engine the ratios will be different meaning you may not get much charging at idle. (Alternators don’t produce much power at low rpm, typically the “rated” amount is only above save 1800rpm but it varies depending on the type/brand)

Bigger alternator will be able to supply more power to the vehicle, allowing you to run more lights, winches and after market accessories without running the risk of falling voltage or draining the battery. 50amp is still pretty low but depends how much stuff you want to power.

Unless the original vacuum pump was failing, then no more vacuum won’t improve brake performance. You would need to upgrade the booster to notice an improvement. There are lots of ways of improving braking performance but they all cost money.

Generally yes, an internal regulator tends to be more reliable and is a simplier design making it easy to change.

It should be ok, but take notice of the size of the pulleys on the new alternator. The pulley size is matched to the harmonic balancer, sometimes when swapping to a new engine the ratios will be different meaning you may not get much charging at idle. (Alternators don’t produce much power at low rpm, typically the “rated” amount is only above save 1800rpm but it varies depending on the type/brand)
Thank you very much Feistl. My cruiser is already running. I should observe her somemore and give ypu a feedback soon.

Thanks,

Carlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom