BJ40 Starter Solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1. I need a starter solenoid for a 1977 BJ40. I have removed the existing one and don't see any part number. Any help wrt to a part number or source of supply would be appreciated. I'd really prefer to replace this one rather than try to repair the internal components.
2. I have also been unsuccessful extracting the starter from the vehicle. It won't fit underneath between the frame and block, and top side is obstructed by injector pump and steering gear. IF I could remove the dipstick tube assy. it may come out top side but the nut at the block won't budge. Various rigid brake and fuel lines also complicate matters. When I took it loose I was thinking it would come out under the fender above the frame, but no go so far. So any tricks or tips would be appreciated, although I think I can reinstall solenoid with starter loose in there, and then reinstall starter assy.
3. The bottom solenoid stud has a jumper wire that goes to some gizmo mounted on the side of the block inside and rear of injector pump. Apparently it connects that widget momentarily when the key is turned to start. Can anyone enlighten me as to what that thing is?
4. And finally, can anyone here recommend the title or source for a comprehensive parts manual (complete vehicle or engine) with illustrated parts breakdown for BJ40 series?
Thanks in advance.

4. You'll need this manual for the engine. This is a great price for a hard to find book. There is a separate one for the chassis and other components.

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 40 45 55BJ40L-K - ELECTRICAL - SWITCH RELAY COMPUTER | Japan Parts EU
Screenshot_20170917-175159.png

Using the link provided above to Toyota parts I find 1977 BJ40 starter PN 28100 and solenoid PN 28150. The issue I have is that is NOT the starter configuration on my BJ40. The solenoid I have/need has two ears(flange) on the housing to mount to the starter. The solenoid referenced above PN 28150 is not configured that way. I ordered one from local NAPA store and it does not have the correct mounting configuration. I don't see a parts breakdown on the referenced trollholes links. So I'm still stuck with an intermittent solenoid and no correct PN for starter or solenoid. No markings on either part. Any help/recommendations/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks Ernie, but I'm confused. Maybe my BJ is pre 9/77 version? Does this mean I have to replace the entire existing starter with this gear reduction version, just to correct/replace my intermittent solenoid?

Update - after exhausting known options to replace solenoid or finding a professional shop to repair it, I disassembled it (which required de-soldering the plunger leads), cleaned, filed and sanded the contacts, reassembled and reinstalled. So far, all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom