BJ40 Rearend Identification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to identify the rear end under my 1979 BJ40 (Diesel - Costa Rica). I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

My BJ40 was imported from Costa Rica. It still has the 2016 inspection stickers on the windshield. I need to replace the brake pads and overhaul the differential. The rear end is clearly not the original and there is no telling where the one installed came from. It is a chunk rear with an inspection plate. The only number we can find is either 41111-60011 or 1111-60011. We have a disagreement whether the first 4 is really a number.

I have some pictures:

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

I’d say it’s a 4.

Looks like a newer cruiser axle with rear e-brakes. I’ve not seen on up close... mine have all been older.

Any reason to think it’s not a ‘79 axle... looks right to me.

These are 81’ on a FF axle. You have a semi-floating axle btw.
CB9E18B8-E5D4-41DC-BD5E-3C2EDE3B537B.jpeg

I’d say it’s a 4.

Looks like a newer cruiser axle with rear e-brakes. I’ve not seen on up close... mine have all been older.

Any reason to think it’s not a ‘79 axle... looks right to me.
The reason we do not think it is the original axle is because the rear springs had been forced an inch or so to the inside to fit the pin on the axle. The bushings on the shackles were toast from the sideways pull. We had to cut off and remount the spring attachment points to mount the new rear springs.

Could be a 70 series semi floater. Those the springs are mounted a little different. Hand brake started 8/80 and would not be on a 79. 8/80 was the start of the single wheel cylinder, split case, crossmember for the transmission and different springs hangers are slightly different for those. If the axle housings doesn't have tabs for a sway bar would be either 40 or 70 series SWB.

Living in the Past knows his stuff. I only know what I’ve seen which is all ‘77 and older. I believe you’ll be able to get brake parts if you ask for ‘81 parts. I’d compare them to what you have before buying if possible.

Is there anything that looks bent, damaged, or modified in your spring mounts?

For curiosity sake:
What’s the width of your axle WMS to WMS (wheel mount surface)?
What is the width of your spring mounts (centre to centre)?

I want to be sure everything is in order and nothing hokey is going on. I’ve always found a small difference in width between the springs and the mounts on mine, but what you’re describing seems excessive.

Is it a centered diff?

Looks kind of like a Toyota mini truck axle.

Is it a centered diff?

Looks kind of like a Toyota mini truck axle.

His right shock is only a few inches from his diff housing and the axle vent is right in between. Looks offset by my eye.

Yes, and it’s most likely a 70 series axle. Spring perches are 3/4 inch in from 40 series. I put a 70 series axle in my 45 and needed to move the perches.

So there was fine spline semi floaters then?

Yes even in Australia. From what I've found 75 is when the FF replaced the semi floater in Australia. The outer spline on the Birfield changed to fine spline around this time but inner axles changed to fine spline in the late sixties. The pinion in the diffs was coarse until 78 but side gears in the diff and rear axle shafts had changed long time by then. For the record the US didn't see a FF rear axle until the 80 series. Diesel engine and 70 series we are still waiting LOL.

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the input. I was traveling yesterday and was not able to read and respond. I will get to that today.

Living in the Past knows his stuff. I only know what I’ve seen which is all ‘77 and older. I believe you’ll be able to get brake parts if you ask for ‘81 parts. I’d compare them to what you have before buying if possible.

Is there anything that looks bent, damaged, or modified in your spring mounts?

For curiosity sake:
What’s the width of your axle WMS to WMS (wheel mount surface)?
What is the width of your spring mounts (centre to centre)?

I want to be sure everything is in order and nothing hokey is going on. I’ve always found a small difference in width between the springs and the mounts on mine, but what you’re describing seems excessive.
I am not sure of the dimensions. The particular jobs being done now are above my level of expertise. A talented mechanic friend is doing the work. Based on the replies from Living in the Past, I think it is a good chance my current rear end is from a 70 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom