BJ40 OME Suspension Rear slump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. I’m hoping someone can answer a few questions regarding a OME suspension kit I just finished installing on my 1975 BJ40

I received the kit from Cruiser Corps. It was a 2” light load kit with all new shackles and pins.

After finishing install the rear shocks are almost completely compressed. I’m scared to even do any test driving due to their being no room for the shock to compress anymore. The vehicle is sagging significantly in the rear. I know it’s not abnormal for the front to sit a little higher but this clearly isn’t normal. Has anymore had a similar problem?
I went with the light load because I want to keep the vehicle as stock as possible but now I’m wondering if I need heavy load springs in the rear.

AD7999C1-3F8C-4372-A58E-495FC77F8208.jpeg

This is my first post so if I’m doing anything wrong, I’m happy to correct, no offense taken.

D625FED9-818A-4B97-BBAD-3F83C89E1627.jpeg

72FB7B33-0628-452D-9024-F6C713835645.jpeg

The difference between the light and heavy spring pack is an overload leaf or two. Call back your vendor and see if they can sell you those to add to your springs. You may also call Cruiser Outfitters in Utah, they carry OME as well.

Shocks are too long anyway.

Great, thanks guys.
Hopefully Cruiser Corps is responsive and can replace the shocks, surprising that it's necessary considering it's a kit they sell.
From what I've seen, adding a leaf doesn't look too difficult.

:oops: I’m ashamed to admit that I installed the front springs on the rear and vice versa. I read as many forums as I could before starting and somehow still managed to do that. At least it’s a relatively easy fix

How about the shocks? Wrong springs won’t affect that, there have to be full travel available (to bump stops) before the shocks bottom out.

You say that it is a '75 model but you have the '74 and earlier rear lower shock mounts on the rear of the axle. The '75 model introduced the rear lower shock mount on the leaf spring lower ubolt mount plate. You may have the wrong (too long) rear shocks for your truck.
HTH,
Will

How about the shocks? Wrong springs won’t affect that, there have to be full travel available (to bump stops) before the shocks bottom out.
I swapped the springs on one side and it helped because it lifts the body higher and spreads the shocks out. But it still looks like there isn't enough travel. I will post pictures once I have the other side done

You say that it is a '75 model but you have the '74 and earlier rear lower shock mounts on the rear of the axle. The '75 model introduced the rear lower shock mount on the leaf spring lower ubolt mount plate. You may have the wrong (too long) rear shocks for your truck.
HTH,
Will
The shock mounts to the leaf spring mount on the BJ pictured above. Your saying it was attached to the actual Ubolt plate in later years, below the spring? Interesting

I have a 79 BJ40 and want to do some suspension work pretty soon here. Just posting to keep an eye on your outcome 🍻
As everyone in all the threads here says with any suspension work - the hardest part is getting the old stuff off. Luckily my truck is relatively low on rust so it wasn't too bad. some of the bushings literally just fell out in pieces when I pulled the pins out. I highly recommend spending the money upfront and replacing everything, pins, shackles, u-bolts, etc.

As everyone in all the threads here says with any suspension work - the hardest part is getting the old stuff off. Luckily my truck is relatively low on rust so it wasn't too bad. some of the bushings literally just fell out in pieces when I pulled the pins out. I highly recommend spending the money upfront and replacing everything, pins, shackles, u-bolts, etc.
oh... and don't make my mistake and put the springs on backwards :)

The shock mounts to the leaf spring mount on the BJ pictured above. Your saying it was attached to the actual Ubolt plate in later years, below the spring? Interesting
Yes, that is correct. The '60's to '74 models mount the lower rear shock to the rear of the axle housing above the leaf springs. The '75 and later models mount the lower rear shock to the bottom of the ubolt plate below the leaf spring. The later mount allows for a longer shock with better angle (more vertical) and more axle articulation (supposedly). Lift kits are usually divided by the above years (up to '74, '75 to'80, '81 to '84) do to the different rear shocks (lengths) that they use. The '81 to '84 also use the larger spring pins/shackles and bushings that were introduced with the 60 series wagon...
HTH,
Will
EDIT: the later model spring mount change may have begun with the '80 model not the '81... Someone with a better memory will correct the information if I misremembered the change dates...

EDIT: the later model spring mount change may have begun with the '80 model not the '81... Someone with a better memory will correct the information if I misremembered the change dates...
From 8/80->

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom