BJ40 no manual hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello,

It appears you got factory AC, which is rare in 40 Series Cruisers that age. It is worth to check if it works.

Two advantages of keeping the front axle as it is:
  1. Lubrication: if you install free running hubs, you must drive with them in the LOCK position for some 50 km every month to keep the axle lubricated.
  2. Easy H4 access: should you suddenly find yourself off-road or losing traction, 4WD is just one button pull away. This can be a life saver.
Fuel mileage could be a concern without free running hubs, but diesel engines sip fuel in comparison with their gas cousins.

My two cents.

Juan

Hello,

It appears you got factory AC, which is rare in 40 Series Cruisers that age. It is worth to check if it works.

Two advantages of keeping the front axle as it is:
  1. Lubrication: if you install free running hubs, you must drive with them in the LOCK position for some 50 km every month to keep the axle lubricated.
  2. Easy H4 access: should you suddenly find yourself off-road or losing traction, 4WD is just one button pull away. This can be a life saver.
Fuel mileage could be a concern without free running hubs, but diesel engines sip fuel in comparison with their gas cousins.

My two cents.

Juan
Yes, it is s factory AC, just needs to be recharged.

I just remembered to look at my system. It's been slightly modified. Everything is still there. It's easy to see what it should do when the cable is in the correct location on the bracket that holds the cable. But, the vacuum pull knob cable has been moved downwards so that the pin on the high/low lever won't touch the flange on the vacuum pull knob.

It was a real easy mod. Just unscrew the two screws that clamp the vacuum pull cable to it's bracket, and move the cable down to the bottom clamp hole. Just one screw now holds the cable in place, and the vacuum pull knob and the lever work totally independent of each other. Don't have to do anything to the hubs if they are already locked in. You can access 2L without any fiddling around.

Don

Not sure what they did, the cable is not inside the clamp but the solid steel housing where the knob is belongs in the clamp. On my 70 the pin in the lever would be easy to undo a couple of nuts and take out. Yours sound like they may have pulled the knob cable forward to keep it in front of that pin. Either way it's a easy mod but Toyota did not design it to be used in 2WD low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom