BJ40 Buyers Guide? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a thread with info re what to look for when buying a BJ40? In my search for an FJ restoration project I came across a 1980 BJ40 imported from Europe that I might consider buying. I have not seen the vehicle yet. It has the 3.0 B engine. Any known issues specific to the diesel engine? Are the frame/body issues the same as for an FJ?

I have had an FZJ80 for almost 25 years but am just learning my way around the FJs, so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tom

Everything under the hood is more expensive and harder to find so far for me. I have a 1979 BJ40 with a B engine. Mine is 24volt which is a whole added headache. Other than that I love it. Getting 17 miles per gallon which isn’t to bad.

Basically, the 40 series FAQ, should answer a lot of your questions. As the BJ is also a 24 volt system, the Diesel forum will have more info.

Rust will be a major concern. Parts for the 3B will also be more of a challenge.

However, there are sources for parts out there.

Using the search function will also provide information.

Strange as it may seem, the 70 series forum has info on parts availability as some 70's have the 3B engine.

Here are a couple of links:

You can look up part numbers on toyodiy. Helps your local Toyota dealer, should you choose to order from them. Some parts are available as the 3B was sold in Canada.

Partsouq also can provide part numbers as well as supply parts. However, shipping can get very high on heavy parts.

Good luck with your search. Don't forget to post some pictures.

I would check that the EDIC is working, check motor mounts, look for leaks around the IP and hand primer pump, check compression and look for smoke. The biggest thing with the diesel engines seem to be whether they were overheated or not. Some things are cheap to replace like mounts and the primer pump but if you need an IP reseal and injectors or head work it gets expensive.

Thanks guys for the very helpful responses. An added concern for me is that I have never owned a diesel if any kind before nor obviously a vehicle with a 24 volt system. Lots to consider. I am starting in on the FAQ which I didn’t even think to look at but should have.

Thanks.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom