BJ40 "B"engine Glow Plug Controller? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I am looking for part #28550-46031 (thanks CDan!). Anyone know where I can get one? I have scoured the search threads and have read an awful lot about other glow plug options including the "Wilson switch" fix however I do not believe the Wilson switch is the right fix for my 1978 BJ40 with the "B" motor. Any suggestions and/or advice would be very much appreciated! I was scouring the internet and noticed this part number cross references a similar part for Toyota forklifts. Is it possible that this is one-and-the-same?

I know I am looking for part #28550-46031 (thanks CDan!). Anyone know where I can get one? I have scoured the search threads and have read an awful lot about other glow plug options including the "Wilson switch" fix however I do not believe the Wilson switch is the right fix for my 1978 BJ40 with the "B" motor. Any suggestions and/or advice would be very much appreciated! I was scouring the internet and noticed this part number cross references a similar part for Toyota forklifts. Is it possible that this is one-and-the-same?

I see that part number is for a 24 volt cruiser.

ToyotaDIY give a price of $US57.19 for it.

So are you saying Toyota have no stock? (In the past when I've seen a price on ToyotaDIY I've assumed it is still available.)

:beer:

You are correct, it is for 24v. CDan said it was no longer stocked. I'll definitely try ToyotaDIY.

I tried ToyotaDIY but they don't even show the part being listed. How did you find it?

Select "North America"
Select "1978"
Select "landcruiser"
Select "BJ40"
Select "Canada"
Select the model code they disply for that
Select "electrical"
Select "switch and relay"
Click "next" to go to page 2
And click "CONTROLLER ASSY GLOW PLUG"

and Bob's your uncle.

:cheers:

Geez.....that seems easy! I'll give it another go.

Can you give me the URL? I type in ToyotaDIY and I get "Toyota Parts Store". I do not have an option to go to North America, etc.

That site doesn't show up in either Google or MSN search engines however the URL took me right there. Thanks! I"ll give them a go. Interesting they are from Russia.

... Interesting they are from Russia.

You're right! Russia! I didn't even know that!

If they're from Russia and they're selling the parts themselves I wonder how you arrange payment? (I didn't think paypal dealt with Russia and "international credit card use" can have its own hassles/dangers.)

Last edited:
The site says that we cannot order parts off of it - it is for reference only - and to view diagrams we have to become a member after agreeing to certain rules about discussing or displaying information. Perhaps these constraints are for USA/North America only? My mom is visiting friends in Oz right now so I am going to try to source a controller from there and have it delivered to her so she can bring it back with her.

The site says that we cannot order parts off of it - it is for reference only - and to view diagrams we have to become a member after agreeing to certain rules about discussing or displaying information. Perhaps these constraints are for USA/North America only? My mom is visiting friends in Oz right now so I am going to try to source a controller from there and have it delivered to her so she can bring it back with her.

Well if they don't sell parts themselves, I've become more doubtful that the controller will still be available then Spelant. (As you can see, I was/am pretty ignorant about that site.) - But I still suspect they do TRY to keep their great site up-to-date in this respect though.

I wonder if the people behind it are really in Russia or if they have just located the site there?

I'm doubtful Toyota dealers in Australia will be any more helpful than others in your part of the world. As far as I know, that 24V controller has no connection to this part of the world because cruisers of that vintage were all 12V when sold new over this way.

But I wish your mom luck if she's willing to try that for. (She must be a really cool mom if she is prepared to do that. :))

BTW - Have you been told by dealers over your way that it is "no longer available"?

Last edited:
VTCDN when you start talking about resistors and electrical stuff my eyes start to glaze over. Mechanical stuff I do okay; electrical is a foreign language. Right now I have both electrical lead eyes bolted together so that my glow plugs work.

VTCDN when you start talking about resistors and electrical stuff my eyes start to glaze over. Mechanical stuff I do okay; electrical is a foreign language. Right now I have both electrical lead eyes bolted together so that my glow plugs work.

Hi again Spelant
Until you find a replacement Controller, you could maybe install a light on your dash with a feed from that "bolted together electrical joint" so that it illuminates whenever you turn your key to "Glow".

And while the 20.5V plugs (meant for "Glow Controller Preheat") should still be reasonably long-lasting with the Controller bypassed like that, 23V plugs would be even better (and should be completely bullet-proof).

Cheers
Tom

Is there a manufacturer that makes a light that will slowly increase in luminosity over a given time? If there was a 24v light that would reach maximum lumens in 15 seconds we'd be golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom