BJ40 B Diesel water pump install

Website
toyotadyna.tripod.com
Hi everyone,

So I'm replacing my water pump that was making a lot of noise and leaking.

The replacement has arrived finally and came with the gasket too.

Its for an early B diesel motor.

Do you recommend that I open the backing plate on the water pump and seal the gasket there with the high temp sealant - it has a gasket installed there already by the manufacturer.

I have replaced these before but they where used parts so possibly already had sealant behind the plate.

I am going to put some on both sides of the main gasket also before installing.

Thanks
ToyotaDyna

-----

Looking for a Diesel, LHD Land Cruiser?

Canarian Land Cruiser Exports - Diesel • LHD

IMG_20220510_165049.jpg

IMG_20220510_165100.jpg

Last edited:
Website
toyotadyna.tripod.com
There's no good reason to remove the backing plate. Silicone is an option for the paper gasket, but I prefer Hylomar for a gasket like this.
Thanks for your input 👍

I'm currently removing the bung from the old pump to install on the new one.

The screws on the plate are marked with a marker from the Factory so I'm going to assume that it has a good seal.

If not I can always just pull it back off again and seal it, not a biggie.

ToyotaDyna

------

Canarian Land Cruiser Exports - LHD • Diesel

IMG_20220510_223223.jpg

ToyotaMatt

Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Approach
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Website
vintageteqparts.com
Thanks for your input 👍

I'm currently removing the bung from the old pump to install on the new one.

The screws on the plate are marked with a marker from the Factory so I'm going to assume that it has a good seal.

If not I can always just pull it back off again and seal it, not a biggie.

ToyotaDyna

------

Canarian Land Cruiser Exports - LHD • Diesel

View attachment 3005513

can i talk you out of installing the made in china pump ?

and

considering a NEW NOS OEM TOYOTA Made In JAPAN one instead ?

this is a semi-large scope of work water pump install as you know , and doing it twice in a short time line window , is not desirable ?

on that note : i absolutely recommend remove the backing plate via only 3 simple un-staked oem p3 JIS Philips head machine gold cad screws , and applying a med.

MIL. thinness skim kote of ONLY Black OEM FIPG cam shaft and oil pan packing sealant , part # 00295-00103 available at any local dealer for under 29$ US

this is GOLDEN cheap insurance against any number of reasons ,

- i personally do exactly this on 100% of any oem toyota water pump application install dead nuts solid too , and guess what ?

- i have never had to deal with a potential after thought seap or leak of any sort , knock on wood !

- am i right ? maybe maybe not ?

- but no leaks in a life time of doing this JIS JAZZ , is reason enough not to waiver , and to simply share my thoughts here in efforts to help you in any way i can ...

- think for a moment :

- is there any reason NOT to preform the said outlined prescribed above small extra step by steps ?

- heck no !

- is there any numbers of reasons to do it and do it all right by the FSM and then some due to age , time , and multi aspects of this ?

- heck yea there is !

- if your on the fence , and you did after all have the advanced level common sense to post this particular Tech thread , , requesting input topics related ....

- then you already know the correct answer to you own question , ( respectfully said here of course :) ) , so run with it and install a non-PO type install like you know ........

PM me please , thanks .........

matt

C8B558C8-996E-4C94-99A1-D9C3197BD943.jpeg
E847A61F-080C-4629-855E-FF0F9CC20A0F.jpeg
ECAE49D1-0100-4917-A2C9-69895D15DC9A.jpeg
47908E2E-F062-4438-8779-E342B58642FB.jpeg

just my :

DSCN9587.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom