BJ won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Flipper

Master of Nothing
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rinnadvisors.com
Just got in a BJ40 from AU and it won't start. Sat for 4 months on a boat. Diesel was drained completely before it left.

Today I added diesel back into the tank (3 gallons), new battery, etc. Fuel line is hooked up. Primed the glow plugs for 30 seconds and turned the key. The motor was turning but never fired up.

Is there any trick? Heard there was a way to prime the engine. I have ZERO experience with diesels so keep the super-technical stuff in layman's terms!

Thanks!
John

Use the primer pump (hanging off the side of your injector pump) to prime your fuel system. (ie. - To purge the air out of your fuel system)

Normally you unscrew the top till it pops up. Then open the bleed nipple on the top (outlet) of your fuel filter and push the primer plunger up and down till you see clear fuel escaping from that nipple. And then close the nipple WHILE fuel is still escaping.

Then repeat the exercise with the bleed nipple on the side of the injector pump.

Then have someone crank it while you crack the nuts (17mm spanner I think) on the top of each injector. (Retighten each one when you see fuel pulses escaping.)

Then glow it and try starting it again (if it didn't start during the injector bleeding).

Oh - And screw the primer back down once the engine is running. (It is easier then.)

And if your primer leaks diesel when you operate it - Get a replacement.

Good luck.

:cheers:

Awesome. Will try it this weekend. I have 3 trucks with the same problem. Hope it works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom