BJ vs HJ models - any difference besides engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are there any differences between the HJ and the BJ models of the same model (e.g. HZJ75 <-> BJ75) besides the engine and related wiring/plumbing? Engine bay dimensions, sheet metal, frame, suspension ruggedness, axles, steering linkage, etc? In other words, if you drop an H-series motor in a BJxx, is it basically the same as the HJ version of that vehicle?

I have an opportunity to buy a BJ75 troopy. I've been holding out for a HZJ75, but this came up and I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow before it gets snapped up. Trying to figure out what if anything I would be giving up if I went with the BJ over the HZ. I also have a 1HD laying around that I was going to rebuild eventually. I'm thinking of dropping it in the BJ75 but just wanted to make sure that's even possible. I know the motor mounts, rad, electrical, etc are different, just wanted to make sure there weren't any show stoppers like the steering box being in the way, or the engine bay being a different size. Otherwise the motor will go in my HZJ73.

A BJ7x will be essentially similar to an HJ7x, the body, frame, axles etc will be the same. However, a BJ will not be as similar to an HZJ7x, since those came out in 1990 and there were numerous changes. It is a completely doable swap though, and there are several threads here with B to HZ or HD swaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom