BJ VIN# question.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking online at a 1979 BJ40. The VIN noted by the seller is BJ40025XXX (last three digits are blanked out by me). I am trying to look up info on the BJ but I am having no luck. It's likely a Costa Rica import, left hand drive diesel. Is there a way to look up a VIN# on an imported vehicle? All the VIN lookup sites I have visited say this VIN is not complete as it doesn't have 14 characters. Is it even worth it to try to look for history? Insights and suggestions appreciated.

I am looking online at a 1979 BJ40. The VIN noted by the seller is BJ40025XXX (last three digits are blanked out by me). I am trying to look up info on the BJ but I am having no luck. It's likely a Costa Rica import, left hand drive diesel. Is there a way to look up a VIN# on an imported vehicle? All the VIN lookup sites I have visited say this VIN is not complete as it doesn't have 14 characters. Is it even worth it to try to look for history? Insights and suggestions appreciated.

from the looks of other rigs coming up from central America, I wouldn't worry about it and move on to something else.
17 digit vin#'s weren't standard until 1981

The Model number will tell you some information. VIN plaque should be on the firewall and has the model number. The complete model number helps when looking for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom