BJ axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am noticing most every truck I look under the axles look almost like tooth picks compared to the old BJ, what is a cruiser axle equivilant to as far as Dana BS goes???

So what are they without the upgrades?

they sure look mean!!!!

The toy 9.5" Axles are pretty tough the rear can be compared with D60 30 splines ( 1.31" shaft diameter and 30 splines for Toy Axples )

The front in other histoty, as you knoe the failure point in Toy axles are the Bierffields .. the stock can be compared with a D44 but with Cromo replacement with D60 Stock ..

Nothing to do with D60 35 Splines or with CTM's ..

what is funny, last year or the year before Dana came out with...

wait for it...

birfields to replace there "weak" ujoint axles...
just too funny.

crushers said:
what is funny, last year or the year before Dana came out with...

wait for it...

birfields to replace there "weak" ujoint axles...
just too funny.

Really?!? That is funny, LOL. I just saw advertisement for u-joints to replace the "weak" Birfields in Toyota solid front axles a couple of weeks ago. :D And they want crazy $$$ for it.

don't you just love "fads", they come on line for a couple years and make huge money then disappear just as fast...

hahahahaha

I am going to have to tell the jeepers that, I've been making fun of there axles ever since I got the cruiser and everything else on there little jeeps

Bierf vs u-Joints, only one thought, or reflection, whet is better .. ?

Protectet Bierf or enviroment exposed u-joints .. :grinpimp: is easy .. !

Eric Winkworth said:
hahahahaha

I am going to have to tell the jeepers that, I've been making fun of there axles ever since I got the cruiser and everything else on there little jeeps
here's one for you, the Mitsubishi J series which is a CJ2B knock off with D30 front and D44 rear has...

wait for it...

darn, you knew what i was going to say...
birfields...

smart Jap techs...
cheers

Stone said:
I don't know for sure personally, but I've heard that with Birfield upgrades the *J7x axles are close to Dana 60s. They're pretty stout anyway.

kinda/sorta...with bobby's new 30 spline set-up your axles should, according to bobby's research, be stronger than a D-60.

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/graph.html

The only problem for us 7X owners is that they are a set (birf's & inners) and he is only making them for minis, 40's & 60's.

Personally, I think the stock 7X inners with bobby's regular 27 spline birfs is plenty strong enough. Just don't run bigger than 35' tyres, don't stay locked while backing up and turning, and don''t drive like an ass-hat :flipoff2:

dieselbigot said:
kinda/sorta...with bobby's new 30 spline set-up your axles should, according to bobby's research, be stronger than a D-60.

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/graph.html

The only problem for us 7X owners is that they are a set (birf's & inners) and he is only making them for minis, 40's & 60's.

Personally, I think the stock 7X inners with bobby's regular 27 spline birfs is plenty strong enough. Just don't run bigger than 35' tyres, don't stay locked while backing up and turning, and don''t drive like an ass-hat :flipoff2:

Hi Brett...

The 7* series inner axles are the same as a BJ42. It's the housing only that is a tad wider...and some say even that is the same and it's just the perchs that are a tad different from the later 4* series.

hth's

gb

Hi everybody!

I should admit that i don't like the idea of the birfs for the trail! nor U joints enclosed in an axle, the beauty of the exposed U, is that it's soo easy to change! Guys, has any of you ever hears the story about russians using cables instead of axles in one of their articulated 6X6, it's suposedely independent suspension,, and the cable tightens when you drive forward, and has a sleeve to avoid it untwist when reversing, ans simply bends up or down with the suspension, and also bends when turning, thought i've heard that it has a serious power steering to bend thoses cables!

Best regards.

Max.

i drove a 73 Ford bronco with the HD D44 front diff for 1 year with the exposed ujoints. NEVER again.
i never found the ujoints easy to change at all, when the ujoint failed it tookout the seats for the ujoints so i had to wait 3 MONTHS for a replacment axle...
this boy will stick with the birfields...
cheers

Hi Wayne, i would have assumed that they were as easy to change as tractor arbor ones! You know there's some on tractors which atach onto splinned arbors, you just unbolt the sleeve, and put another U joint. True i open my big mouth and i lack experience!

Bye.

Max.

nah, this was my only experience with the open knuckle design. it turned me off. others might have had a better experience than me...
cheers

broke a u joint on our wagonner last year jumping it, and it wasn't easy to fix at all, from what I see birfileds are alot easier we ended up scraping the axle and getting a newer one out of a newer XJ and swaping them out, it was easier

Greg_B said:
Hi Brett...

The 7* series inner axles are the same as a BJ42. It's the housing only that is a tad wider...and some say even that is the same and it's just the perchs that are a tad different from the later 4* series.

hth's

gb

Greg,

what about that thread (here on Mud I think) that showed 40, 60 & 70 shafts all lined up...the long side 70 shafts were a little longer than a 40 but not as long as a 60?

When my HJ-60 was SUA with 33" ARB front and Rear, 4.56, and stock bierf never ... !" never ! had a bier broke problem .. never ..

And I use my ARB front, strong enought front stock diff set ..

masFlex.jpg

la_grua.jpg

now with 37" and chains, new field fron diff set so far, the same good condition ..

yo-laguna1.JPG

No problems .. :D

dieselbigot said:
Greg,

what about that thread (here on Mud I think) that showed 40, 60 & 70 shafts all lined up...the long side 70 shafts were a little longer than a 40 but not as long as a 60?

I pulled the inners out of a 85' BJ70, the shafts were nearly identical to all the 40 shafts I had sitting around... I have some pics somewhere. The housing is a tad wider, anyone in need of a BJ70 housing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom