1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BJ alternator jury-rig questions...

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by stumitchell, Mar 6, 2007.

1. stumitchell

stumitchell

hi all. i've stuck a 3b in a fj40. it runs and drives really well BUT the alternator is unhappy. puts out 12v at any speed or load. i'm thinking it could be my wiring, seeing as the fj harness is quite different. the colors out of the plug are RED WHITE and BLUE. one, i assume is ground, one to an idiot light...is one to a 12volt source? i know the big B on top goes to the battery through the ammeter in the gauge cluster...do i do a rebuild or what about pulling the alt, plugging the oil lines going to it and coming up with a new vacuum for the brakes? after which i'll install a newer, higher current alternator...thanks for any advice.

2. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

Some of the 3B alternators used external regulation. Are you sure yours is not that type?

What year of vehicle did the 3B come out of?

3. stumitchell

stumitchell

bjalt...

ya the alternator is from an '82. i took off the cover and the brushes and regulator are attached...the top is a large silver (aluminum) piece with a phillips head holding it to the body of the alternator. pretty sure its the regulated type.

4. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

82..you sure sure...

my 84 is regulated internally. 82 might be external..

anyhow bump this thread to the top, hopefully another can respond.

I don't know what to look for.