BJ 74 tune-up suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long overdue for a tune for the 13BT, any suggestions for what to have serviced (other than the obious filters, fluids, etc.)?

if it is running well and you are changing all the fluids and filters then what do you want to service?

Valve timing, injector timing, anything like that, or is it worth the trouble looking at these things?

Also have a BJ 74, a valve adjusment increased the power and gave smoother @&@&@&@&ing (auto trans) . The Toyota maintenace manual lists service intervels, as well as all adjutment specs.

If your in a winter climate add a block heater. Same block heater as 3B.

Chang-kuao-lo said:
Valve timing, injector timing, anything like that, or is it worth the trouble looking at these things?
how many km on the engine?
you could adjust the valves, injection timing but as i was taught at a young age, if it ain't broke leave it alone.
personally i stay away from the block heaters. for some they love them, for me it is either a webasto or a lower rad hose heater.
cheers

Hey Greg, any ideas where I could take my 1HZ when the time comes to have the valves adjusted? And any other engine specific maintenence I need to deal with?

Tom

HZJ60 Guy said:
Hey Greg, any ideas where I could take my 1HZ when the time comes to have the valves adjusted?

How about in your own driveway? :D The closest Toyota shop that would understand the 1HZ to you would probably be Radd Cruisers.

Dave

188,000km so, don't service it untill it breaks? sorry, man, but that's pretty stupid. My old 1975 FJ40 went 400,000 MILES with no major replacements or repairs because of regular service. I'm asking here, because a diesel tune up is unfamiliar to me. It's the only vehicle I have, I need it to work out of, I want to go out of my way to prevent down-time. Down-time costs me far more than repairs do, to the tune of $400-$600 a day.

The most inefficient part of an engine is the valves. Someone should invent electronically controlled valves- self tuning engine.

Chang-kuao-lo said:
188,000km so, don't service it untill it breaks? sorry, man, but that's pretty stupid. .
no problem, buy the manual, read it, then do the service as recommended.

BTW, what that saying means is unless you see something wrong then don't go looking for problems.

Last edited:
As said before if it isn't broken don't fix it!!!!

is it ticking or anything?

If not yer trippin, change filters, fluids and she will last over 500 000.

Boy, I hope your local FD or ambulance doesn't have that attitude, "sorry your house burned down, but the engine is broken." How do you stay in business talking down to people like that? You just lost a potential customer :( Step into my world, your ass would look pretty stupid. I'm just trying to figure on what needs to be done, and then find someone down here who would be capable of doing it right. There is a differece between looking for a problem and preventing one. God forbid I would ask for some simple advice... call me stupidass, but I thought that's what this forum was for.

Chang-kuao-lo said:
Thanks, something I can relate to.:cheers:

Might be a good time to give it a compression test and if someone can test the pump pressure for you that would also be good.

As far as tuneup goes I would do the valve adjustment and check the injectors for opening pressure and spray pattern.

check on birfield.com for the B/11B/13B/13BT engine repair manual with all the specifications and procedures if you want to do a complete check-up.

I'm not sure about the preventive maintenance un a 13B-T engine .. When I bought my 2H it has 417589 km on it .. and I drove it until to 447523 ( god memory :D ) after that with no more than oil changes my engine start diying process ..

Well rebuilt, all pistons, rings, valves, bla bla bla .. right now with 498526 km runs great with no more than diesel, oil filte and oil changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom