BJ-74 Fuel Tank Suction and Return Assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The intake screen appears to be partially blocked. Truck runs fine around town but dies from lack of fuel in a couple of kilometers on the highway. Replaced and cleaned all accessible fuel filters.

What is the procedure to remove and replace the Suction and Return Assembly ? Does the tank have to be removed, or will it drop enough at the front and the hoses at the rear side of the tank flex sufficiently to allow removal of the Suction and Return Assembly ?

Also considering simply switching the supply and return lines. It won't pull from as deep in the tank, but the reverse flow might clear the intake screen.

Suggestions?

You can also blow air into the supply line to try and clean the PU screen, but make sure the fuel cap is off.

Make sure the tank has enough fuel to cover the screen, blow through the line, let it settle over night, and drain the tank. Filter the drained fuel and pour it back into the tank with the tank drain open, filter the fuel again, and repeat until it's clean.

If you want, you can add some gas to the fuel you flush the tank with, maybe 50/50 with diesel. If you use only a few gallons, you can filter it when finished, and dilute it with a full tank of diesel and use it. A couple gallons of gas in 20 gallons+ of diesel will be ok, just add some lune to be sure.

I've seen many diesel boat owners do this,

Hope this helps.

Thanks Doug, that's what I tried; air wouldn't clear it. Will try reversing the fuel lines next, and run it for a while, to see if hot return fuel will clear the screen.

If your fuel pick up is blocked, it means the gauze around it will be coated in it. I doubt the return flow will be strong enough to clear it if the air wouldnt do it.
There is what the epc calls a "rear floor service hole" at the rear of the floor above the tank. This is specifically for getting access to the fuel pick up. Applicable to 60 series also
From there you can withdraw it from the tank and clean it by hand. From memory it comes out by removing 3 or 4 screws.
I would drain the tank and flush it as well.
Maybe you could add something to the tank a few days before you start so anything clinging to the walls of the tank falls off.

This is a pic of a modified long ranger tank pick up and fuel guage sender ,the originals drawn next to them, but you get the idea
wagon_pickup_and_sender_unit.JPG

On my 9/85 60, their is only one rear floor access plate, and it is for the sending unit. The tank must be dropped to reach the PU in mine. But, I can see the PU location through the sender access hole. Maybe this will conform the problem?

I thought you could take the pick up out. It must have been my old Ford that I did it on 20 years ago. . I guess you could also use a telescopic mirror in through the drain hole to have a look.
But taking the tank out is not all that hard but some of them need a solid whack to make them drop down.

You mite as well drop it. It's how old now?

Clean it out right, new rubber hoses and you're good for a long time.

My 2 cents

Good plan.

I removed the tank and pulled the Fuel Tank Suction and Return Assembly. The in-tank filter was clogged.
This happened shortly after a Seafoam fuel system cleaning.

P5220006.JPG P5220005.JPG

Relatively inaccessible fuel filters are not a good design for a remote country vehicle where dodgy fuel is always a possibility. The 13B-T - 74 has a good fuel sedimenter/water trap. That should be the primary filter, followed by a finer filter/screen in a transparent case. I decided to delete the in-tank filter and instead use a NAPA Wix 3972 inline filter after the sedimenter in the engine compartment.
While the tank is being cleaned, fuel hoses will be replaced with Gates/NAPA Barricade™ multifuel hose.

Wix 33972 & Napa 3972 Fuel Filter.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly what mine looked like just after I got my truck, yuck

Good plan.

I removed the tank and pulled the Fuel Tank Suction and Return Assembly. The in-tank filter was clogged.
This happened shortly after a Seafoam fuel system cleaning.

Thats nasty. I wonder how many other landcruisers have clogged pick up filters and losing power.But good to know everything is cleaned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom