bj 40 with 1kz motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a Prado with a 1KZT for years. It was a good engine and behaved well but I wouldn't ever consider it a worthy replacement engine....diminished returns and all that... A 1HDT in a 40 though...yummy. I take it you've seen this one..skip to 6:15

why not buy a prado i have 2 lol i just always loved the 40 shape, i ran a 2004 hi lux 1kz for 4 weeks it gave me 100k to 9lts then a 2010 hi lux 4d4 i got 100k to 8,5lt & surprisingly the the 1kz is quiter than the d4d version, i have seen the heads cracked but been fitting the aftermarket ones for about 5yrs & never had one back i will put one on before it goes in, hey just noticed you r from nz do you have the 1kz with the mechanical ve pump on it over there like they do in Europe ?

Had a Prado with a 1KZT for years. It was a good engine and behaved well but I wouldn't ever consider it a worthy replacement engine....diminished returns and all that... A 1HDT in a 40 though...yummy. I take it you've seen this one..skip to 6:15

Thanks thats a nice truck never seen it before

why not buy a prado i have 2 lol i just always loved the 40 shape, i ran a 2004 hi lux 1kz for 4 weeks it gave me 100k to 9lts then a 2010 hi lux 4d4 i got 100k to 8,5lt & surprisingly the the 1kz is quiter than the d4d version, i have seen the heads cracked but been fitting the aftermarket ones for about 5yrs & never had one back i will put one on before it goes in, hey just noticed you r from nz do you have the 1kz with the mechanical ve pump on it over there like they do in Europe ?

We've got them all. Mechanical KZ, electronic KZ, electronic intercooled KZ and then finally 1KD.
The 1KZ only stopped cracking heads after 2000.

You won't get hilux fuel economy with a hilux engine in a landcruiser. I'm not convinced a 40 makes a good daily driver even with the quietest engine in the world.
They just aren't suited to it and why would you want to wear out a classic doing the daily grind?
Better to keep it as a toy and drive something boring (like a prado) daily. No matter how much time and money you spend on the 40 the prado will still have better brakes, better steering, a better heater, be quieter and can be serviced by anyone.

One of the quietest toyota diesels I've ever heard was a 15B in a Dyna.

if it makes a good DD or not .. would not be all on the selected engine .. while a 1KZ would make it feel more " modern " still would be and old tech engine ... but back again, DD a well done 40 series have it own mystique .. matter of taste and targets right .? it must be like trying to compare driving experience from a modern charger with an old one ( from the beloved 60's ) .. never like driving a 454 SS right ..

the quietest toyota diesel i ever owned was powered by peugeot diesel engine they only made them for a few years in a hatch back, i have been trying to get parts on the way i would like to buy som body panels have u got any ideas

thanks for the info guys after looking at project again & talking to a gear box expert, i think iam wrong lol not the first time lol the gear box guy suggested a 1hz & gear box would fit a lot better please let me know your thoughts, i have got a yanmar 6lyp engine that need a turbo but otherwise complete would this go onto a landcrusier box & bolt ? Thanks for all your post they r really helpful

Now...that would be a worthy challenge. A number of the boats right here in front of my house have that engine...very nice!!

i have got a yanmar 6lyp engine that need a turbo but otherwise complete would this go onto a landcrusier box & bolt ? Thanks for all your post they r really helpful

Is it the Toyota 1hd ft or 1hd t engine that Yanmar use a marine diesel? They put out a lot of HP .The 1HZ worked well in my 73 series because it was a bit lighter than a 75 series,so it should be even better in a 40.

ft or fte I thought...

Is it the Toyota 1hd ft or 1hd t engine that Yanmar use a marine diesel? They put out a lot of HP .The 1HZ worked well in my 73 series because it was a bit lighter than a 75 series,so it should be even better in a 40.

They used both versions.

Getting engine to work shop this week its a 1hdft it was 340 hp model but think it will be about 260hp with smaller turbo, what gearbox would suit for fitting & the extra bhp, Thanks

The H55f that goes behind a 1HZ would be my choice. I think you'll run into problems of length trying to use the H151 or 150

The 1HZ has a smaller clutch than its turbo cousins but there are ways of using a larger clutch with the H55F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom