bj 40 with 1kz motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys & girls i wont to put a 1kz in my bj40 1978 its got 13bt with a 5 speed at present has any body seen these done or done one thanks

Haven't seen it done, but it very plausible. With a torch, welder and grinder you can achieve a lot.

But why, what I see in my eyes do a downgrade from the 13B-T?
What do you want to achieve with this swap?

Haven't seen it done, but it very plausible. With a torch, welder and grinder you can achieve a lot.

But why, what I see in my eyes do a downgrade from the 13B-T?
What do you want to achieve with this swap?

I think you have over estimated a 13B-T there, but it would be a big swap for a small gain.

Even my 12H-T is a slug at stock conditions. :/
Give that 13B-T an intercooler, freeflowing exhaust and a bigger and better turbo.
Disconnect the wastegate hose and turn up the fuel until you reach 20-30 psi boost.
Watch out for egt pre turbo and I promise you, you will have a beast flying high!

I think the 13B-T is a better/stronger engine to build a tune on than the 1KZ-T, but do the swap. I won't stop you, just think it is a bit of wasted time considering what you already have :)

An 1KD-FTV or 1VD-FTV on the other hand :bounce:

lol a 1kd or 1vd i want to make a good reliable truck my work shop is full of common rail Toyota they r s##t, but without them i couldnt fund this project if i was going common rail i would go with the ford ranger 3lt motor

Has been done, however the big hassle is the gear box. The r151 is too long. Look for a 14b or 15b instead if you want more power. This way your can keep your 5 soeed

...via IH8MUD app

sorry i cant lol i have been thinking about this car for the last few years i feel 1kz would be the best engine for this project, parts & time are covered, i have common rail engines but think for the power i dont need & the little i will save in fuel, i think the reliability of the mechanical fuel injection system is the best option & after testing a few different engines i found the 1kz to be the quietest toyota 4 cylinder turbo, i was thinking of putting an engine & box in out of a hi lux 2004 1kz but the only other option i can see is make a bell housing to match but then i will be left with an older gear box to be honest this car is going to be my work car & i wont it to have the classic looks but drive like a moderner car, think i would buy the new one but i dont like the body shape so iam pinching all the parts i like & building my own version lol

Good project. The 1KZ is popular in oz and there are parts a plenty. The 1KZ gets away quite nicely at the lights in a 95 series (LWB) Prado ,so it will go even better in a 40.
Other owners have squeezed the H151 and 4.5 1FZ FE into a 40 and they are quite long also. Sitting the 1KZ forward should give you the room

Terrible idea. The 13bt is a far better engine than the 1kz.

For a start is direct injection so has a stronger head, better efficiency and can take a lot more boost.

Hi Dougal you sound like my mrs lol i dont want more power for this 40 i want low emissions & low noise after testing most toyota diesel engines the 1kz wins, for this project the 13bt is just a bit old to use, i was thinking as i already have a 5 speed box fitted that i may try & modify the bell housing to except the 1kz seems the easiest way?

Hi Dougal you sound like my mrs lol i dont want more power for this 40 i want low emissions & low noise after testing most toyota diesel engines the 1kz wins, for this project the 13bt is just a bit old to use, i was thinking as i already have a 5 speed box fitted that i may try & modify the bell housing to except the 1kz seems the easiest way?

You should listen to your wife. This is a really bad idea.

If you want a smoother and quieter diesel, find a 15B or BT. The 1KZ is a backwards step in every way. It's almost as bad as the guy who pulled a 13BT to fit a 1HZ.

Okay... Now I want to know why you think a HZ from a 13BT is a step backwards? Turbo the HZ and have many years of part availability and I'd think makes sense.

I know IDI vs DI, but I want to run wvo in the future...

What am I missing?

Okay... Now I want to know why you think a HZ from a 13BT is a step backwards? Turbo the HZ and have many years of part availability and I'd think makes sense.

I know IDI vs DI, but I want to run wvo in the future...

What am I missing?

Same reasons a 13BT-1KZ is a bad idea. But compounded with a high compression engine with a weak head which was never designed to be turbocharged.

I'm confused... The HZ has a weak head? I know the risks of a turbo on an idi, but I always heard the design of the HZ is pretty heavy duty.

I'm confused... The HZ has a weak head? I know the risks of a turbo on an idi, but I always heard the design of the HZ is pretty heavy duty.

Heavy duty perhaps for a non turbo idi engine. Turbocharge it and all bets switch to the other side of the table.

I trust your views are well warranted, but I still feel an HZ over a 13bt is a strong choice. The turbo might balance it a bit, but for my needs, having parts is way too much of a consideration.

I do however agree about the 13bt/kz swap, but that is due to the lighter duty design of the KZ. If the intent is to be a daily driver only I could see it, but I would trust the 13bt out in the back country more.

Which parts are NLA for the 13BT?

1kz is the way to go iam sure indirect injection was put in for low noise thats what i want as well as low emissions & will be in town most of its life ive spoke with a guy who says he can make conversion plate whatever that is then i can run the 5 speed gear boxs thats in it, or other option is move engine foward & fit the hilux/parardo box aswell

1kz is the way to go iam sure indirect injection was put in for low noise thats what i want as well as low emissions & will be in town most of its life ive spoke with a guy who says he can make conversion plate whatever that is then i can run the 5 speed gear boxs thats in it, or other option is move engine foward & fit the hilux/parardo box aswell

Why not just buy a prado and be done with it?

The 1KZ isn't any quieter than a modern direct injection engine. But it does have head cracking issues, short oil change intervals and fuel consumption rivalling bigger engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom