1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bizarre sounds from gas tank

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Code Red, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:35 AM.

1. Code Red

Code Red

I have a mystery sound that I'd love to hear some opinions on:

We went camping this weekend in N. Ga. in my 1990 FJ62. 275K miles, h55f, I have the 38 gallon tank that MAF sells for the FJ62. Installed by ACC in Atlanta. It's been on the truck about a year.

We filled up about 4:30PM at a gas station outside Dahlonega, Ga. I didn't fill it all the way up because it has been known to push gas out a vent line when its hot and off camber. Pulled out of the gas station with about 7/8 of a tank.

Temps were mild 60-70 degrees when we stopped and dropped to the 50's by morning.

FS Roads were plenty bumpy. Lots of bumps, hills, etc... We hit camp about 5:30.

After we stopped and set up camp we noticed the noise coming from the tank. It was like it was bubbling or burping. The noise was audible 30-40 feet from the truck. It was intermittent, but continued all night long. It was still doing it when we packed up at 11:00 the next morning.

I tried taking the cap off to see if there was pressure building up or a venting problem. No hiss when I loosened the cap. No change in sounds with it on or off.

We have camped in the truck a few times in the last few months and never noticed this.

The truck ran fine after the fill up, and I have burned through 10-25 gallons of it since we camped. No problems.

Thoughts?

2. cruiserpilot

cruiserpilot

Inside the same side of the tank inner fender panel there is a plastic emissions thing. All the vent lines from
    the fuel tank seem to go through thing. Open up the interior panel check all the rubber hoses, sounds like
    one of them has a crack in it, letting in air. Also look at any of the vent lines under the truck you can see
    and looks for cracks, leaks, etc. I just reread, I just installed that tank myself. But I removed
    the far side vent lines. Contact the guys who installed it, ask them where they ran all the vents. There
    is a vent bung in each of the four corners plus the main filler vent, so no idea where they might have run
    the vent lines and or how they connected them.
    That's where I would start.

3. Michael Hanson

Michael Hanson

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi, I'd also check that the charcoal canister and lines are ok. Mike

4. morganism

morganism

you can try switching the lines on the charcoal cannister, usually works for. Supposedly a bad valve in there.