bizarre sound while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

S

skunkworks

Last week I heard a weird sound (sort of like the sound of driving on the highway side markers that are in the ashpalt ) and then it became hard to steer. I then came to a stop and restarted the rig and all symptoms dissappeared. This happened again today and after starting the car again it stopped. I bought this rig in florida early this year and its in amazing condition cosmetically but I have not done any preventative maintenance , just wondering what this noise could be (a repatative loud ticking)? anyone experience this
:confused:

Nothing personal, but it's always a good idea when asking for help to let those you're asking in on what vehicle we're talking about. Things like lockers? Year? Engine? Mods?.....

DougM

skunkworks said:
Last week I heard a weird sound (sort of like the sound of driving on the highway side markers that are in the ashpalt ) and then it became hard to steer. I then came to a stop and restarted the rig and all symptoms dissappeared. This happened again today and after starting the car again it stopped. I bought this rig in florida early this year and its in amazing condition cosmetically but I have not done any preventative maintenance , just wondering what this noise could be (a repatative loud ticking)? anyone experience this
:confused:

Does it happen with your foot on the gas or does it happen when you take your foot off the gas?

Does the sound happen when you are turning corners (put your window down, stick your head out the window, and turn off the radio--listen carefully)...do you hear a click, click, click sound?

Is it a clickity sound or more of a grinding sound?

Clicks=front birfs need work
Grinding=u-joints

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

As long as we are brainstorming....could it be the ABS pulsing?

:eek: its a 1994 LC without lockers. Sound came on while driving straight. I don't think it would be the abs.

Its definately a clicking noise anything else it could be besides birfs (I'll have to look that term up :confused: )

What were the conditions when you found it "hard to steer". Obviously you were trying to turn... correct?? Were you at highway speed or had you slowed down? Yea or ney on the PS fluid?

Please tell me you didn't buy this rig from those guys in FL that regularly do the bait and switch scheme of leaving Cruisers with 35,000 miles on them on their site that they never had or sold years ago? Can't remember their name...anyone??

The ABS wouldn't be it unless it happens with your foot on the brake and you haven't mentioned that. Sounds more like very badly dry spindle bushings that are causing the axle shaft on one side to seize/flex like we've heard before on this list. Yours may be doing it badly enough to cause an effect like having a brake on one side intermittently grabbing. The sound is classic spindle bushing, the symptom sounds like a severe case that is trashing the bronze bushing.

DougM

Checked the power steering fluid it was fine. It happened again last night when I hit a pothole will driving on uneven terrain. Also this morning while drivingon the highway going to work. In all cases steering wheel was straight...no driving in corners and happens on flat even road and uneven roads as weel .... I will bring it to a local garage today. How much would this bushing change cost?

Can anyone post pics of the area and or parts tha I should question. I am not very familar with the landcruiser mechanicals

Thanks for any help

In the "technical links" are lots of good info, like this. A bearing, birf job [birfield, front u-joints, front wheel large ball mounting] is messy;

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/birf-repack.php

Since it is a '94, there is a good possibility that u have more than 65,000 miles on the beast. The front joint and bearings need to be greased and inspected every 65,000 miles or so.

Ur cruiser is probably in dire need of this work. Try to find a Toyota knowledgeable garage to do this; cost could be $1000.
The cruiser will be down for a few days; use only Toyota seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom