Bizarre Radiator Hose Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Little Background: 1996 LC with 68K.

I bought the thing with green in the radiator but haven't flushed it out to put red in it. The hoses "look" okay. No evidence of splitting or rot.

Here's the problem. The last two days when I take the truck out on a short trip and stop, I loose about a cup or two of fluid out of the upper large radiator hose in the back. I can see it dribble out from underneath. The weird thing is that when I was forced to drive it longer it stopped. It only leaks on that first drive. It's like when it gets warmed up it stops.

My thought is that it might be a clamp or something? That the neck is loose until it expands and tightens up inside the hose?

Anyone seen anything like this, and how can I tighten the clamps?

Thanks in advance.

Jesse Berdinka said:
Here's the problem. The last two days when I take the truck out on a short trip and stop, I loose about a cup or two of fluid out of the upper large radiator hose in the back. Anyone seen anything like this, and how can I tighten the clamps?Thanks in advance.

That's a lot of fluid. You can buy the preformed upper hose in Gates brand for about $10 at most local parts stores. The OEM clamps are spring tension so you can mess with them a bit while you have them off or go with a better clamp. You are risking potential damage from overheating on $15 worth of parts. :confused:

I had coolant loss on several heater hoses last winter. I replaced the rad cap and no more leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom