Bizarre 1997 weak/no spark issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 1997 40th Anniversary that I just did an engine rebuild on at 300k. Car ran fine when engine was removed, but will not start now that everything is back together.

At first it had no spark, now it has very weak spark.

Some parts were replaced during the build: cap, rotor, wires, CKP sensor.
Wiring harness has been continuity tested for all ignition related circuits.
Car is not setting any codes.
Coil has been replaced, still weak.
Main relay replaced with known good.
Igniter has been swapped for known good, still weak spark.
Fusible links have been tested, and bypassed. Still weak spark.
Grounds triple checked, and then new auxiliaries added. Still weak spark.
Distirubtur, coil, igniter, PCM all check out using factory specs. OBD plug gives me 160rpm while cranking. Injectors fire. Spark is so weak my timing light doesn't detect it, but a clean plug in a lead shows very weak, and yellow.
Engine timing verified, distributor timing verified, compression and leakdown great.

What am I missing?

Have you followed the correct procedure for installing the cams? The distributor may be 180 degrees out firing on the exhaust stroke not the compression stroke.

I did, but would that really cause a weak spark condition as opposed to just a no start condition? I'll probably strip the valve cover off today and reverify, but I can't figure out how that would cause these symptoms.

I'm having a similar issue with my 94. Weak orange spark instead of blue/white. OPs description of parts tested and replaced is pretty much what I've done as well. Any insight is much appreciated as to where to look next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom