Bitter - Sweet

For those who have been keeping tabs on Tate’s (16-in-Dec) 40. Sunday I suddenly came to an emotional realization that rocked me pretty hard.

As I sat next to Tate in the 40 I realized that 99% of all the remaining fun to be had in this project would be had with out me. The fact that I would be replaced as the co-pilot of choice by friends and girlfriends in the very near future is pretty had to deal with.

You see, for the past 3 year on Saturday mornings Tate and I have left out for a day of mowing yards around town. The sole purpose of these trips, to pay for the cruiser project. I would trim the lawns and then wait for him to finish mowing. After that we spent countless hours on the actual vehicle working side by side. During this time, (something I realized on Sunday), Tate had become a really good friend that I will sorely miss as he ventures out on his own.

I wouldn’t take anything for these last three years, I would like to take back the times I got frustrated with him, but he will get an apology today for those.

So find something that you and your kids have a common interest in now, and devote some quality time to it before they grow up and replace you as copilot!

Russell

PabloCruise

SILVER Star

Russ,

Don't sell yourself short man.

Tate might just want you spotting him on those trails...

Also, 40's are never done! There will always be a project you guys can do on it...

Thanks for the observations.

My son and a couple of friends and I put on the ARB, Warn and two sets of lights this weekend and last night just before bed my son came to me with a big smile, a high five and said thanks for the best time he has ever had working on the truck. We both got frustrated with each other and exchanged words when we were working on it but it all comes out in the wash. Down side is I have to send him away to school next year, upside is, I get to use the truck for a year.

Good thread.

This isn't the cruiser but I'm slowely trying to introduce my son and daughter to the notion that there are things that are repairable and not made of plastic that is unwrapped/broken/thrown away.

Cool pics. I'm looking to do a 60 project as soon as my kids get a little older. They are 9,7, and 4. I figure that getting them involved in a chopped roof 60 with a full length cage, a diesel swap, and 37's should keep us busy for a year or three. :D

PabloCruise

SILVER Star

Yeah Russell, I could ship you my 40, and you and Tate could do restore that one! Thank of all the swell times you could have again. I would be willing to do this, and I would just need to drive Tate's 40 while mine is in your care...

trust me dude... he won't replace you.

through this bonding, who do you think he's going to come back to when that girl in the passenger seat dumps him, or he busts a t-case out on the trails.

my old man has only taken a passing interest in my rig, but even that was enough to bring us heaps closer than we ever were.

he'll wheel with friends and girlfriends for sure... but expect the odd call of "dad you wanna go wheeling".

you've built more than a cruiser. i imagine that your son's a pretty straight shooter... that he'll make the right choices in life... that was you.

now go build yourself a cruiser from his left over parts, and show him experience counts for more than youthful exuberance :)

Bitter - Sweet
Sorry cant resist......

I'm older now
I work in the city
We live together
But it's different from my dream
Morning light fills the room, I rise
She pretends she's sleeping
Are we everything we wanted
And i'm thinking love......
It's bittersweet more sweet than bitter, bitter than sweet
It's a bittersweet surrender.

Anywhoo, having worked on the old willy's with my dad I know it helped build our relationship alot. And now that i'm older I respect even more(even if he did have to sell the truck). It seems to be a good bonding experiance. So hopefully he will still think of ya while in the cruiser and the good times while building it.

Don't worry he will break it ! Dad will always be very important during those times.

My son is 23 and after 3 year of school for Diesel machanics and working in the marine diesel field he still come and asks how to fix his 4x4 and more importantly to borrow the money to do it.

Tate will be talking about that 40 and the work you two did on it to his grandkids.

Like my dad said enjoy them while they still like you.

I have enjoyed his energy and excitement at your progress on the project.

Nice Job !!

That turned out VERY NICE!!!!! Wish I could have gotten over to help (watch) with that project...very cool father/son story.

Just spent the weekend with my dad in Colorado...trust me Tate will never forget this.

Just make sure he know that some of us 80 drivers in Abilene are not soccer moms...I will be on the look out for a wave. :D

Sooo is he ready to wheel it? :D You should see my pics from Roundup and take your wifes LX!!!!

Top Bottom