Bit off more than I can chew. '78 FJ40 in Albuquerque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wanted to replace the clutch because it was slipping pretty bad and money was tight. Picked up the upper and lower clutch cylinders, too. Figured I'd do the rear main seal and the transfer case seals while I had i . Then I thought I might as well do the oil pan gasket. I've done similar work on newer Japanese rigs but, DAMN. Every step is fighting me.
The rear bearing (called input bearing in the manual?) is shot. The back washer fell out along with a third of the ball bearings. I've spent 2 days trying to get the damn oil pan off. I'm working doubles now and just don't have the time. I just came into a couple of bucks and I'd be willing to pay for some help. Any suggestions for amateurs or pros in the Albuquerque area?

Last edited:
I pretty much performed all of your above work plan in February / March of this year on my 1978 FJ40. Clutch/rear main seal/transfer case seals/oil pan and pan gasket/engine mounts due to multiple leaks that had been worsening over the years. I had a very, very difficult time getting the oil pan off. Don't give up yet. As suggested above I used a jack and 2x4 on the passenger side of the pan to help remove it. I then had to move to the drivers side to repeat that process. Took me two long afternoons to get the pan free and I destroyed it in the process. New OEM pans are available from the dealer (what i did) and fit perfect. I also struggled getting the pilot bearing out but you can rent a puller to assist in that process. You'll get there. The payoff in then end when you're all done is well worth it!

Thanks for all the support and advice! My local gearheads have stepped up and I'm getting more and more optimistic. The neighbor kid was able to get it off despite his injuries. He's a badass. I'll tell you a story you can skip or read as you like. Got home from work and there was a package of auto parts on my porch. I was expecting parts but realized it had the same house number but was for the street one block west. I got in the Landcruiser and drove around the block. The garage door was just going down so I rang the doorbell. The kid answered and was shocked that someone would actually hook a neighbor up with parts. He and his dad are now my go-to guys working on the Landcruiser. They lent me the tranny jack and some other tools that I really needed and have come over a couple of times when I was stuck. Serendipity and good actions are awesome!

I'll take some pics this afternoon. I was thrilled to see that there was very little evidence of engine wear in the bottom of the oil pan. Just the tiniest bit of metal on the magnetic drain plug and next to none in the sump. The biggest project for today is getting the oil pan gasket off the bottom of the block and cleaning 44 years of filth from the trans and transfer case. My buddies are going to bring over the power washer once I get the big chunks off the T&TC. Again, thanks for all the support and kind words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom