birfs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
been a toyota mechanic for 6 years and rebuilt at least 150 cruiser front ends and never split a birf . why do some find it so neccessary? you can clean and repack ok while together. :doh:

ehhhhh i did my birfs for the first time (140k) figured i was in there might as well slap it to a pipe....
Well that and i was with 2 other cruiser heads that were just as wide eyed as i was.... Its not hard or scary. just drop the long end in a pipe with a rage and "bam" it splits. push out the cage and bearings and re grease.... guesss its not "nessessary" but fun and not much more time, for piece of mind. If you go that far why not do the rest. make sure you have a hose clamp to put it back together though makes life way easier.

reply birfs

no need mate , quicker without. more time bush bashing, load the recovery gear instead.

topend yobbo said:
been a toyota mechanic for 6 years and rebuilt at least 150 cruiser front ends and never split a birf . why do some find it so neccessary? you can clean and repack ok while together. :doh:

I doubt any "mechanics" over here split them as well. First it's MY vehicle so I'm going to do it right. Second it's only every 60k and only takes a couple of extra minutes to do to be gauranteed that the birf is spotless. I also don't want any old grease or god for bid any solvent left behind in the joint.

topend yobbo said:

You'll find many on this forum are more attentive to maintenance than your average owner and perhaps more than the average US mechanic. Can't speak for the Aussie wrenches because I've never been to OZ.

Swapping the birfs L to R can also balance the wear between sides. Your average mechanic also won't do that and it is difficult to swap side without splitting the birf from the axle.

-B-

The reasons I do take the birf's down are to totally clean the birf from any thing (even chiped metal from the cage). To me the biggest thing is makeing sure it is totally repacked with grease. There is no way you will get it fully packed with grease and no dry spots with out taking the birf down. There is also the swaping from side to sid that I do as part of a service. Any how that is what I have been doing for the last 8+ years here in the states on various toyota truck, I still can beat flat rate even taking down the birf to clean properly. I am sure there are more ways than one to beat flat rate by cutting corners and not doing the job as the book says, but most of the customers I deal with want to relay on their truck not work on it in the field.
Any how I know I am not in the majority of toyota mechainics or techs here in the states in the way I do my work for customers. later robbie

powderpig said:
Any how I know I am not in the majority of toyota mechainics or techs here in the states in the way I do my work for customers. later robbie

And that is why you are so well respected, I dare say.

all good points and i will split mine net time . dont have to rebuild front end as often because I have freewheeling hubs. prevents a lot of wear .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom