birfield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One sure way to tell is when you're wheeling your junk with the front locked and you hear that horrid crack sound, then clink clink clink. Pull it out and there's bits everywhere. That is one sure sign that it's toasted. :whoops:

I can't tell if the clicking is light or heavy. I have to listen closely to hear it. When me & the guy working on my truck drove it a round it took a while for me to get him to hear the noise. Normai if you repack the birfield heavy will this fixed the problem?

did you try it in 4-lo? It will be a lot louder.

Montelawrence.

>> Normai if you repack the birfield heavy will this fixed the problem? <<

No. At least not if I understand your question.

If the clicking is not too bad (subjective and takes someone that knows what they're hearing) then you may try having them swap sides when they put in the new seals. This changes the wear patterns a little bit and may reduce the clicking and extend the life. The decision to do this needs a lot more thought though... like is this your wife's DD or your occassional trail rig? What is your tolerance for down time and "redoing" repairs.

-B-

thank for the feedback. my mechanic had them sent off & rebuild & my lc is running great again. thanks again.

[quote author=montelawrence link=board=2;threadid=12910;start=msg128210#msg128210 date=1080475029]
my mechanic had them sent off & rebuild [/quote]

???

Yes,
you can rebuild or reman the birf. the main ball and socket set is just cleaned really well usually but they will weld a band of steel on the shaft itself and then machine back to tolerance in order to keep the shaft inner seal seated correctly. as far as remanning to get the slop out I beleive semlin tried this with abysmal results.
Dave

Hey Phaedrus, Was that you that posted on the HS2000 forum? I'm seriously considering buying a Springfield XD9 and would welcome your impressions.

Thnx , Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom