1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birfield worries

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by FJ55partsBoise, Feb 20, 2004.

1. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

In the local cruiser club there are two groups of 80 series owners. Those who do the birf's every 75k-100 religiously and those who drive and drive with with no worries until they implode or whatever a birf would do when it goes.

Two questions: what is this costs for replacement if scenario 2 doesn't work well?
    What's the deal with the rear axle maintenance? I've done 2 sets od birf's always front.

Thanks

2. MoGas

MoGas Central Scrutinizer

Media:
    Albums:
    The rear bearings are lubed by the gear oil and the wheels don't articulate in relation to the axle housing so no need for birfs.

3. Junk

Junk

for cost - do a search. Last I checked, OEM birfs were over $400. Maybe a lot higher.

Not servicing them is just plain stupid unless you expect to break them frequently and plan your servicings around the breaks. Then again, there's a few 40 owners that do that, but the 80 birf is a lot bigger.

Bottom line, service them.

4. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

Thanks guys. My mistake on the "newbie" duplicate listing.

Note to self never take the Ambien too early.

5. RavenTai

RavenTai

[quote author=MoGas link=board=2;threadid=11846;start=msg108154#msg108154 date=1077343319]
    The rear bearings are lubed by the gear oil and the wheels don't articulate in relation to the axle housing so no need for birfs.
    [/quote]

Depends on the year, IIRC the later full-floating rear bearings have thier own sealed compartment and are lubed with grease, I have heard of converting them over (by removing the seals??) to be lubed by the diffs 90wt like an American full floater

6. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

an 80 with disc rear is full floating and needs serviced.

see here:
    http://www.iluvrocks.com/fzj80_rear_bearing.htm

retail on a new OEM birfield is like $600

there are cheaper aftermarket's , but a lot of people don't trust them. They don't seem to last.

do the service. You don't want to have to do it on the trail..... believe me!

7. robbie

robbie Guest

C-dan should get you a better price on a birfield, closer to 475-500. but some other part that might get hammered at the same time are the spindle bushings, cost about 50 a side or the whole spindle cost (at slee, not retail) 175 a side. so if one goes and messes stuff up parts could run 700-800 a side, not counting labor or seals. The best birfield for the 80 currently are stock. Christo and I have tried the other types and for christo the Longfield treatment on a brand new 80 series birfield has done the best for the Short bus. My new Stock birfields have held up very well so far with the stuff I have done. If it is just a daily driver with light wheeling then a cheaper route is to have a CV company rebuild the orginal ones. Slightly weaker then stock but stronger than some of the other stuff out there.

8. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    NOTE: This post corrected Re SF axle bearings. (D-)

FF rear axle bearings are grease packed and sealed off from the diff. It is common for the small axle shaft seal to fail at some time and allow gear oil into the bearings. The wheel bearing seal is very good at preventing the gear oil from exiting and tossing it all over.

SF Toyota truck rear wheel bearings are a sealed type that are not serviceable. You run them til they shoot craps, then replace them.

SF Cruiser bearings run in the same gear oil that lubricates the rear diff.

9. Pitbull

Pitbull

[quote author=FJ55partsBoise link=board=2;threadid=11846;start=msg108152#msg108152 date=1077343107]
    In the local cruiser club there are two groups of 80 series owners. Those who do the birf's every 75k-100 religiously and those who drive and drive with with no worries until they implode or whatever a birf would do when it goes.

[/quote]

FF55, how many of the drive till it blows up group have had failures and at what mileage? Reason I ask is I'm running my own test to see how long mine will last before they leak, or make noise or blow up :D I'm at 135K miles so far and have a couple of friends that have over 200K with no front end maintence other than diff fluid and bearing repacks.

10. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Just a slight correction for CDan-the SF rear bearings are not sealed at all. They are completely open to the axle and are oiled by gear lube in the diff. The axle is sealed on the outside to keep the gear lube in the axle. Those bearings seem to last a very long time lubricated like that. I was looking at the ones in my 60 series when I changed the seals and they look like new after 175k.

I think of a sealed bearing as one that has it's own grease and integrated seals.

By the way-thanks CDan for your help with my order the other day.

11. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict GOLD Star

I heard a lot of wheelers breaking them. I am just curios and want to know, are OEM birfield the strongest in the market? ???

12. Pitbull

Pitbull

[quote author=FJ809496TLC link=board=2;threadid=11846;start=msg108302#msg108302 date=1077396654]
    I heard a lot of wheelers breaking them. I am just curios and want to know. Are OEM birfield the strongest in the market? ???
    [/quote]

The ones I am talking about are Mall Cruisers no off road use. From what I have learned over the last several years the OEM birfields and OEM everything else is the best.

13. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

IIRC I payed under $3oo for my newfields. The jury is still out onthese though. I had some clicking up front ,but, it might be a sticky diff lock or something, not sure yet.

BTW My outer seals held until about 210K miles. Not sure about how long it takes to blow those out once the inners go. I really wasn't paying attention.

14. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

[quote author=Tooth Fairy link=board=2;threadid=11846;start=msg108423#msg108423 date=1077421117]
    IIRC I payed under $3oo for my newfields. The jury is still out onthese though. [/quote]

Uhm, I think both Robbie, me and Mike Caskey (owner Offroad Solutions) would agree the jury is in. Between us we have exploded 8 Newfields, including new prototype ones that was supposed to be stronger than oem. I have the 8 ball award from Black Hills Cruiser Classic to prove it.

15. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    [quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=2;threadid=11846;start=msg108287#msg108287 date=1077392246]
    Just a slight correction for CDan-the SF rear bearings are not sealed at all. They are completely open to the axle and are oiled by gear lube in the diff. The axle is sealed on the outside to keep the gear lube in the axle. Those bearings seem to last a very long time lubricated like that. I was looking at the ones in my 60 series when I changed the seals and they look like new after 175k.

I think of a sealed bearing as one that has it's own grease and integrated seals.

By the way-thanks CDan for your help with my order the other day.
    [/quote]

You are correct Andrew, I was thinking of the SF axles in the Toyota trucks. In those vehicles the seal is inboard of the bearing whereas the seal is outboard of the bearing on a Cruiser.

I have corrected my previous post to reflect this.

16. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=11846;start=msg108235#msg108235 date=1077381316]
    FF55, how many of the drive till it blows up group have had failures and at what mileage? [/quote]

166K miles when my short side ate itself

17. Pitbull

Pitbull

[quote author=Klunky Chris link=board=2;threadid=11846;start=msg108970#msg108970 date=1077554756]
    166K miles when my short side ate itself
    [/quote]

That's 2 more years of driving for me. Might have a 100 by then. I can sell one of you guys my 80 and you can do the birfields :D

18. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=11846;start=msg108510#msg108510 date=1077458813]
    Uhm, I think both Robbie, me and Mike Caskey (owner Offroad Solutions) would agree the jury is in. Between us we have exploded 8 Newfields, including new prototype ones that was supposed to be stronger than oem. I have the 8 ball award from Black Hills Cruiser Classic to prove it.
    [/quote]

That sucks to here. I didn't know that. :mad:
    My oems were clicking so bad I had to do something about it, so that's what i wound up with. I'm only running 285/75r16 and that is not a 42" so matbe I've got some miles left out of 'em. :rolleyes:

What are you running now?

19. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

FWIW, I meant the jury of myself.

Didn't want to assume anything there at all. I was sure somebody was breaking them.