Birfield weight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone happen to know how much a pair of birfs weighs (within a pound or 500g) ?

I've run across a shop here in town that does cryogenic treatment, and they claim that the process increases the strength of the part by up to 400% (depending on the type of steel). Even the least effected type of steel will double in strength, they claim.

Anyway, I have no idea whether I'm going to do it, but the price seems reasonable enough that it might be worth looking into... but they charge by the pound, and the more weight you give them, the less they charge per pound. So, to estimate cost (vs. just getting some longfields) I need a fairly close weight, and don't feel like tearing my cruiser apart to get it right now, so... any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

- Matt

13 pounds
That's a pair, no grease.

HTH

Ed

Awesome, thanks! That means it would cost about $127 to do a pair. But, if I were to do 5 pairs, it would cost about $93 per pair, maybe I'd have to get some locals to go in with me... suppose I could do inner axles and that sort of thing too.

Now, anyone know what kind of steel birfields are made of?

Thanks again,
Matt

fj45 ute fuel milage,help

fuel milage on my fj45 ute 1976.so far i have fitted new carb and
large distributor,headers and am in process of fitting petronics
electronic igniition(coming from Marks)but have not yet got any
improvments, maybe when i get petronics fitted(new leads,plugs
to .45 thou)it does 10/12mpg at steady 50mph(imperial)
fj45ute,greasable shackels,new asian carb,new large distributor,
headers,new muffler,door seals,new rear brake drums,linings, all new brake cylinderes,runs like a swiss watch,new shock absorbers
help!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom