Birfield stuck on factory locked 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’m trying to breath life into a 97 factory locked 80. I bought it from a guy who had the front driveshaft explode on him and take out the trans. I replaced the trans with a new one and now I’m tackling the knuckle that was leaking after the previous owner “rebuilt” it. SO the issue that I’m having is that I CANT GET THE BIRF OUT.

The method:
I have the flat spots on the birfield positioned to the 6 and 12 o clock position, start to pull the birfield out, but it hits the ball of the axle directly outboard to the upper and lower trunion bearings.

questions:
1. Could the previous owner warped the ball of the axle by over torquing the trunion bearings?

2. Am I stupid and doing something wrong

3. If I do get the birfield removed, how risky is it to keep the front axle unlocked when putting the shaft back in. Because the relay for the front locker does actuate, but the light doesn’t turn on and the cdl doesn’t lock.— it’s either stuck because it wasn’t ever used, or because I forgot to plug something in☺️

Did it drive fine after replacing the trans, did you try it?

You locked it before doing the work, just leave it as is....or are you saying you're doing the work with it unlocked?

1. The bolts would yield before the ball.

2. No comment. Pull harder, or if you have the other side apart, use something long to tap the axle shaft out from the other side.

3. You can leave it unlocked, the locker only needs to be engaged when removing the third member.

Edit: if you need extra handle room for pulling on the birf, I’ve had decent luck with reinstalling the drive flanges and C-clip making it easier to pull And even use it as a slight hammer in some instances.

Did it drive fine after replacing the trans, did you try it?
I haven’t driven it yet, I took the rotor off to replace a wheel stud that was missing and then got carried away. I figured I should check it out because I was half way there.

That and I had to take the outer wheel bearing nut off with a breaker bar because neither of the nuts had any thread left. Thought it might be a good idea to give it a once over before it got on the road

1. The bolts would yield before the ball.

2. No comment. Pull harder, or if you have the other side apart, use something long to tap the axle shaft out from the other side.

3. You can leave it unlocked, the locker only needs to be engaged when removing the third member.

Edit: if you need extra handle room for pulling on the birf, I’ve had decent luck with reinstalling the drive flanges and C-clip making it easier to pull And even use it as a slight hammer in some instances.
I replaced both birfields on my other 80 and I don’t remember having to pull super hard. Is it common for them to get kind of wedged in there?

And thanks for the locker info! That helps a lot.

Pics would be awesome

I replaced both birfields on my other 80 and I don’t remember having to pull super hard. Is it common for them to get kind of wedged in there?

And thanks for the locker info! That helps a lot.
I’ve had them get “stuck” before. Usually after enough coaxing they decide they’re ready to come out.

The flats have never mattered to me; I believe that was really only on other Toyota axles, but a non issue on the 80. I can confirm this on a knuckle and birf off the shelf, but I’ve never once thought about it.

The method:
I have the flat spots on the birfield positioned to the 6 and 12 o clock position, start to pull the birfield out, but it hits the ball of the axle directly outboard to the upper and lower trunion bearings.
Is it actually hitting the ball, or are you saying it stops for some reason that you aren't aware of?

Did you remove the ABS sensor?

I’ve had them get “stuck” before. Usually after enough coaxing they decide they’re ready to come out.

The flats have never mattered to me; I believe that was really only on other Toyota axles, but a non issue on the 80. I can confirm this on a knuckle and birf off the shelf, but I’ve never once thought about it.
I talked to another friend who had the same issue and recommended what you said. It seems like a just keep pulling it in different spots till it comes out kind of thing.

It’s just so weird that both birfs on my other 80 slid out without problem and this ones much tougher

And you removed ALL the studs, correct? Double check to make sure you don’t have a broken stud down below. These studs break commonly and it possible the remaining stud is poking up through the inside of the birf.

Alternatively, you did remove the wiper gasket from the back of the hosing, right?

Lastly, as a previous post stated, pics would make this a whole lot easier.

And you removed ALL the studs, correct? Double check to make sure you don’t have a broken stud down below. These studs break commonly and it possible the remaining stud is poking up through the inside of the birf.

Alternatively, you did remove the wiper gasket from the back of the hosing, right?

Lastly, as a previous post stated, pics would make this a whole lot easier.
The knuckles not getting separated from the axle, the birfield is just coming out. I don’t think the previous owner put an inner axle seal in when he rebuilt the axle or its completely torn.

And I’ll try to post up some pics tomorrow

Maybe the birf is broken and the bell is getting caught. Could be the reason the inner axle seal is leaking. Sometimes the seal gets destroyed when things blow up in there. Find a way to get a slide hammer on it and give it a bit more of a pull.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom