Birfield Snap-Ring Install Tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a trick to getting the little snap-ring on the end of the front axle shafts to stay in its groove while installing it in the Birfield? I spent an hour last night yelling at the thing while trying to get it in.

Thanks!

it wasnt that hard for me, you just kinda put half and hold it down with a flat head. then use another flat head to push the other side down in the groove. maybe you snap ring is stoffer than mine?

i've always done it the same way max did it...no probs

External Snap Ring, Notched Tips

19322.JPG

They have hefty tips on them, just like external pliers basically :popcorn:

Which Snap Ring?

I think bustanutley is talking about the snap ring at the end of the birf--the one that must be removed to take off the hub. Those pliers are the bomb for removal/installation of that bad boy.

But I think Lusedekache was asking about the snap ring on the end of the inner axle that holds the inner and outer (birf) axles together. The one that must be compressed so the inner can slide into the birf. I've always done it like 74fj40 and nuclearlemon too.

One time I had some serious frustration before discovering that there was a small section of the old ring left in the groove when I was trying to install the new one. I removed the fragment and had the axle back together in a couple of minutes...

yep...zac's definitely on the wrong page.

marlin tack your axles and say goodbye to those little rings forever!

I'm in the right book though :flipoff2: I need pictures without pictures I’m hopeless :grinpimp:

SO,

In that case, yes, martack, never F with those freaking clips

Mar tack

Last edited:
i had the same problem with mine, ended up needing 3 hands. i held the clip with 2 screwdrivers and had the wife give the axle shaft a smack with a 3lb hammer, slid right in. but cover the end of the axle with a rag or something so you dont damage it or use rubber mallet wich i dont have :doh:

Easy enough.

Find some sheet steel (like tin can type). Get a hose clamp. Wrap the steel around the birf so that the bottom of it just covers the ring. Compress the top with a hose clamp, giver inner a good whack and it will drop right in.

CruisinGA said:
Easy enough.

Find some sheet steel (like tin can type). Get a hose clamp. Wrap the steel around the birf so that the bottom of it just covers the ring. Compress the top with a hose clamp, giver inner a good whack and it will drop right in.

I like the sound of that! I was going to get another person to whack on the end while I held the ring with screwdrivers, but this sounds like it might be easier.

Thanks everyone!

I know people have had problems with these c clips and I have only done about 6. I have not had any problems by putting the birf in a vise with the hole pointed up and putting the inner axle in the hole and while holding pressure down on the axle taking a awl and walking the clip around the shaft with the point of the pick in the grooves of the spline until the clip disappears then one or two whacks with a Brass Hammer ($12.99 @ Harbor Freight) on the end of the shaft and it seats.

Maybe I've just been lucky.

Myrle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom