birfield size - need advice and help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered a new birf for PS from Cruiser Outfitters due to excessive play and wear on the spindles. My 80 is a 7/1994 without ABS , and the part number from CO is FAXT60080JP -
Japanese Stock Repl. Birf - 94+ 80/450 w/o ABS (Non-US Apps). When it arrived I compared old with new and length is the same, spindle count is same, but the diameter of the cone on new one is smaller than the one I'm replacing. The diameter on the shaft is the same. Not sure if I have the correct one for my year, and I wanted to get some input and advice from those who have done it before I get the wrong one installed and get stuck with it. I measured with a tape, I don't have any calipers, unfortunately, so certainly not exact. Any advice or input is appreciated. If there is another measurement I can do to confirm...thanks everyone.

I ordered a new birf for PS from Cruiser Outfitters due to excessive play and wear on the spindles. My 80 is a 7/1994 without ABS , and the part number from CO is FAXT60080JP -
Japanese Stock Repl. Birf - 94+ 80/450 w/o ABS (Non-US Apps). When it arrived I compared old with new and length is the same, spindle count is same, but the diameter of the cone on new one is smaller than the one I'm replacing. The diameter on the shaft is the same. Not sure if I have the correct one for my year, and I wanted to get some input and advice from those who have done it before I get the wrong one installed and get stuck with it. I measured with a tape, I don't have any calipers, unfortunately, so certainly not exact. Any advice or input is appreciated. If there is another measurement I can do to confirm...thanks everyone.
Call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. He is very straight up and will give you the right answer.
@cruiseroutfit

You should be good to go. The bell diameters do change a bit between manufactures and applications. It's generally just the lip on the end of the birf and birf OD isn't a critical dimension so long as you're not trying to put a much larger birf into a smaller housing. You're more than welcome to give us a buzz at the shop to discuss as well.

Back at the shop. That birf should have a 99mm bell OD versus 101 (Trail gear Chromoly), 102 (Nitro) and from different manufactures. That is definitely the correct application and the lip right there isn't an issue at all. You're good to go, that is a confirmed fit!

Awesome man, thank you! Tell your guys the help is much appreciated, as is yours! I took some pics and the bell is def different, but all else seems same.

Happy to help!

We've really stepped up our birf offerings in the last few years and I made a big massive spreadsheet with all the spline, length, diameter, etc specs :D

1586532358172.png

1586449033948.png

Last edited:
Happy to help!

We've really stepped up our birf offerings in the last few years and I made a big massive spreadsheet with all the spline, length, diameter, etc specs :D

View attachment 2266215
I have a possibly really stupid question. What website is this? When I go on cruiser outfitters it looks way different. Thanks again!

I have a possibly really stupid question. What website is this? When I go on cruiser outfitters it looks way different. Thanks again!

Not at all. It's our new ecommerce and b2b website: www.cruiserteq.com We are still adding tons of contents and once we have as much/more on the new site, we'll point the old site at the new site. Check it out!

Not at all. It's our new ecommerce and b2b website: www.cruiserteq.com We are still adding tons of contents and once we have as much/more on the new site, we'll point the old site at the new site. Check it out!
Thanks you! The new site looks amazing by the way

Any info on the cruiser teq heavy duty replacement birfs? They're a killer price.

Sorry, that is/was a typo. We've updated that. The Japanese offerings are standard duty replacements, i.e. stock replacements.

Does anyone manufacture/sell a quality greasable Birfield for the 80 series?

Does anyone manufacture/sell a quality greasable Birfield for the 80 series?

Absolutely! We stock Nitro, RCV and Longfields that are gun drilled and greasable through the end.

Thanks, which are best for longevity?

Thanks, which are best for longevity?

Unfortunately the greasable birfs are all HD birfs and not recommended for daily driver use in a full-time 4wd 8x due to wear. They are stronger but wear faster.

Thank god a new site is available, I think u will see a significant increase in sales as ur old site sucked for finding stuff :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom