Birfield replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I blew up my first birfield the other day and am about to replace it, what parts will I need from toyota besides an axle seal? I think I will need a retaining ring and some retaining clips.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

THX, dan

I broke it backing up in reverse with the wheel turned, like it always seems to happen. Was wheeling behind my house on a trail that is easy when dry but nasty when wet, steep, slick, rocky and off camber, I zigged when I should have zagged.

Heres a pic.

1906307.jpg

This is were it ended up after the birfield exploded, it doesnt look like it but it is sitting at a comfortable 40 degree angle in that position!
1911467.jpg

Look into getting a Longfield....they are like 175 with no trade in. Great stuff..it's what woody runs. I plan on running em when i get a front locker and do my disk brake swap next winter.

Stew

Dan, how did the replacement go? What parts did you end up getting? Is there another source of the spring clip other than through Toyota? I'm planning on repacking mine this weekend, but I don't want to do business with my unfriendly local dealership.

Damn wish I had trails like that behind my house :tear:
BTW Nice Honda, mid 90's Foreman 400 4x4 I believe?
Let us know what you did, I need to repack soon too.

Tellico is not close enough?  I wish I still lived in Atlanta.
Haha yeah maybe I shouldn't complain.  Things get complicated when your mom's over-protective and won't let you drive "that unsafe unreliable hunk" the "long way" to NC, or she cites "school reasons" to keep me from going where I can stay at a friends farm near Murphy and be within 30 min of tellico. :dunno:
School gets in the way of so many more important things. :mad:

Longfields are made by bobby long.....don't know if you guys have heard about this at all...it was all over the pirate board last week but bobby long is no longer selling longfields to the public...some ppl just pushed him to far with stupididity and breaking them and wanting replacements...so anyway the short of the long is that he is now only selling through camoware.com (sp), Marlin, and rockbuggy supply. ...there are no more cores only new birfields will be used for the treatment..Suggested Retail is 215.00 Each...which is not really expensive if you compare it to a single CTM joint which runs like 250 and is only a super U-joint...anyway nough rambling about longfields...wish i was about 2 years ahead of were i am in my truck plans...would have bought a set or 3 already...

Cruzer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom