Birfield removal

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhead05, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

Got a quick question, sorry if its a repost and i could find it elsewhere but doing this was easier considering im tired as hell.

I got home from ork tonight at 12 and started to tear the frontend apart. i've been going very slow and just taking it all in, right now im trying to get the birfield out of the axle housing and cant seem to get the flat spot up, it just wont turn. i have the wheels straight, its in neutral and the abs sensor is out...any hints?

2. mabrodis

mabrodis

Make sure the axle is pushed all the way in, it could be pulled out a bit already and that could be keeping it from turning. If that's not it then slip the driveplate back on that axle to give more leverage to turn it, they don't turn as easy as you might think sometimes...

Oh and GO TO BED!! (I just came in from working on my mini's knuckles, didn't get it all done, but I was tired and working slow like you...but atleast I'm getting dirty) :D

3. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

Mark, thanks ....i'll see if this helps at all. i'm running out of stuff to do though, alot of things are just too loud. I dont want to wake everyone up.

I'm very dirty as well and sooo soo tired. need sleep.

4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

If the diff is locked and the other tire is still on the ground I doubt you'll budge that sucker any time soon.

5. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05

I got it....now for the cleanup

6. mabrodis

mabrodis

Yep, part of the reason I came in last night, I was trying to beat the wheel studs into the new rotors (on a mini the wheel studs are in the rotor, so when putting on new rotors, you have to move all the wheel studs), but my banging with a 4 lb sledge just was not good, and it was taking alot of banging...the air compressor at 1:00am is bad enough.. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.