Birfield removal with locking diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its been a few years since I last did my birfields. With front lockers is it better to lock the diff before sliding the front drive shaft out? I feel like it was supposed to help keep everything lined up during the reinstallation.

If so can I just lock all my diff and shut the truck off?

Thanks Onur. I am going to be installing new spindles and wheel bearings. Do you think I should go the extra few steps and replace all the birfield seals? I have no leaking or build up around the knuckles and have a part time kit installed. So there is not much wear on the birfields in daily driving.

Well Dana, you are removing the spindles.

The knuckle is wide open.

Your call there.

I’d at least renew the grease in the knuckle.

Well Dana, you are removing the spindles.

The knuckle is wide open.

Your call there.

I’d at least renew the grease in the knuckle.
I guess like you once said about cutting corners. It is like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on. I guess I will stick with my original plan of slide out the birfeild and axle, pop in a new seal behind the birfield and re grease it all. Might as well do it right.

what if rear locker is not engaging, can you still remove axle?

You do not need to engage front locker to remove birfs.

Engaging the rear locker is necessary to remove the rear axles.

Hi, Getting the axles back in is not that hard.just don’t rock them so much you tear up the new axle seals. Mike

Hi, Getting the axles back in is not that hard.just don’t rock them so much you tear up the new axle seals. Mike
This is like saying torquing the head gasket bolts, just dont mess it up.

what if rear locker is not engaging, can you still remove axle?
If it's a problem in the actuator, you can remove it and lock it manually.

If it's a problem in the actuator, you can remove it and lock it manually.
oh i am sure i could just only know it wont lock currently, but have parts to make it work with air

oh i am sure i could just only know it wont lock currently, but have parts to make it work with air
Not sure if I was clear; if your actuator doesn't work and you need to remove the right (US passenger) side axle shaft, you can remove the actuator and lock the diff manually. If you don't, the locking collar can fall out of alignment and the axle shaft won't go back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom