Birfield Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive me for being so ignorant. I am tearing into my front axles for the first time and running into issues. I actually have an Fj40 and bought a front axle from another 40 that had the outers and axles/birfs from a later model mini (8 hole rotors). When I tore into the axle to rebuild the knuckles I found out the person who modded the axle has ground the birfs to get them inside the axle versus grinding the axle itself.

Long story short I am looking for new birfs now.

So my question is about what birfs to get. Are all the '79 - '85 birfs exactly the same size? Are there different lengths?

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Yep all stock mini-truck birfields are the same size, length, ect.

If you have the cash and are looking to upgrade birfields give Bobby a call, hes right over in Graham too: Longfield Superaxles

:cheers:

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought I just wanted to make sure before I spend more money on used stuff.

I wish I could afford Longs... I really do. They are on my list, just not right now.

Steve

Yep all stock mini-truck birfields are the same size, length, ect.

If you have the cash and are looking to upgrade birfields give Bobby a call, hes right over in Graham too: Longfield Superaxles

:cheers:

wellllllllllllllll some have a love hate thing with trail gear.

I however beat the hell out everthing they have ever sold me

bobby long is the s*** but you ..............well check it out anyway

longfields are not much more then TG's axles, worth the extra coin to get them from bobby :)

One benefit if I get Longs is that I can drive out and pick them up in person. And maybe get a tour... :grinpimp:

I thought you had to grind the Longfields down a little to get them into the knuckle, no?

other way around... You grind the inside of the knuckle ball on the end of the axle.

I concur with Bobby's birfields.

But, to answer your original question ... 1979-1985 mini-truck birfields are the same, PLUS, 1979 - 1989 Land Cruiser (very late FJ40, and FJ60, and FJ62) birfields are also the same.

x2 on land cruiser birtfields are the same as solid axle mini trucks, only one side of the inner shaft is the same though

just get Bobby's 30 spline super set.

Jap rigs dont like chinecheese axle shafts.

If you are local, Bob will hook you up too.

Bobs warranty is LIFETIME, Any owner too.

TGs warranty is well, NOT transferable at all.

Ive seen the TGs and Bobbys on the machine and the TG ones dont make the gauge climb nearly as high as Bobby's shafts.

Dont take this wrong, I like TG products. I have alot of TG stuff on my rig, from the dual cases and crossmember to the rock assualt housings too.

BUT I HAVE BOBBYS SHAFTS.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom